vRealize Network Insight Overview

vRealize Network Insight is the #25 ranked solution in our list of Infrastructure Monitoring tools. It is most often compared to SolarWinds NPM: vRealize Network Insight vs SolarWinds NPM

What is vRealize Network Insight?
VMware vRealize Network Insight delivers intelligent operations for software-defined networking and security. It helps customers build an optimized, highly-available and secure network infrastructure across multi-cloud environments. It accelerates micro-segmentation planning and deployment, enables visibility across virtual and physical networks and provides operational views to manage and scale VMware NSX deployments.

vRealize Network Insight is also known as Arkin.

Download the IT Infrastructure Monitoring Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2021

vRealize Network Insight Customers

NTTi3, VCIX-NV, VMware Networking and Security Business Unit, Illumio, CompuNet

vRealize Network Insight Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

ZlatkoMitev
Cloud Architect at IBM
It's intuitive and user-friendly

What is our primary use case?

At IBM we enable vRealize Network Insight in our mission-critical architecture, so we'll be using vRealize Network Insight to monitor and get deep inside to our networking, including with NSX.

• "The gradual way the Network Insight shows you all the relevant information about your networks. It's pretty good. You can really dig deep deep inside and see where the problem is, where it comes from, what you have inside, how did you configure it. Also, it has alerts so you can have pretty much quite a big overview about your network. This is really something good."
    OS
    Technical Coordinator with 201-500 employees
    It is a cost-effective solution because we now spend less time investigating network flows

What is our primary use case?

I use it to monitor and log the traffic for our virtual servers. We are migrating our virtual servers into a new software-defined data center from a legacy infrastructure. When I migrate the reports into the new infrastructure, I use vRealize Network Insight to monitor or log the traffic from the servers and implement those reports into the NSX firewall. Therefore, our servers will be ready for our migration into our new data center.

• "A lot of time is saved when you use this type of software solution for the network. We have moved systems into the new data center and the servers and systems are much faster because of the very low latency between virtual machines."
    • "I want to be able to monitor a network flow that is approximately two weeks back, but I haven't found an easy way to do this."

What other advice do I have?

It's a great solution. You do need knowledge and understanding of network traffic, protocols, and ports to understand when you do a search, since you receive flowcharts about the ports in use. This is more technical knowledge of how your network works. However, the tool is very much intuitive.
    Find out what your peers are saying about VMware, SolarWinds, Zabbix and others in IT Infrastructure Monitoring. Updated: June 2021.
    512,221 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    NZ
    System Engineer Technician at Bechtle
    It will show you what is happening on your network and what your network traffic is doing

What is our primary use case?

The primary scope of vRealize Network Insight is deployment of NSX to visualize north-south and east-west traffic. We mainly use it to implement data on the NSX.

• "The solution helps reduce time to value, increase performance, provide deep visibility, and easily manage networks."
    • "The initial was straightforward. You can have it up and running in one hour."
    • "The virtual appliance has rebooted."

What other advice do I have?

Use the product. It's pretty cool.
    BS
    Virtualization Manager at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Video Review
    Provides deep visibility into what is happening with traffic and helps us manage our network

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for vRNI is to have an overall dashboard for east-west traffic in our hospital. It is used to catch anomalies, like system which are not being used or being overutilized. Its performance is great.

• "It provides deep visibility into what is happening with traffic and helps us manage our network."
    • "vRNI needs more remediation where it hooks into NSX."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate the vRNI a ten out of ten. It has given us value since day one. We can see more than before. This helps.
    Nilesh Raut
    Senior Consultant at DynTek
    MSP
    With this solution and NSX we can troubleshoot any issues proactively

What is our primary use case?

For this product, we wanted to introduce NSX into our environment. Previously, we were using all Cisco, so we wanted to try Network Insight to find the vulnerabilities in our environment and whether our environment was compatible with NSX. That was the premier objective in using this product.

• "If we deploy NSX it shows us how the workflow will flow in the organization, what the roadblocks are, and what we need to do to overcome those hurdles. When we run this product, it gives us reports which describe problems with physical switches. We work with the network team to get them all resolved."
    • "If it had some kind of plugins with vSphere, more effective plugins with Horizon View or other VMWare products, if it had interconnectivity, I think it would be more effective than it is today."

What other advice do I have?

I rate it a nine out of ten. I'm a little bit skeptical, I never give a ten. But otherwise, in the next release, if they made it more intuitive - it's definitely intuitive - but if there were some more features and it let us know about east-west traffic as well, that would be more helpful.
    Sean Bettencourt
    Supervisor of Systems Engineering at a computer software company with 501-1,000 employees
    Video Review
    For NSX deployment we no longer have to manually determine what is needed to microsegment VMs

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for the product is for preparing for NSX deployments, looking at flows between VMs, and to help us troubleshoot also.

• "The most valuable feture is NetFlow to help us understand how VMs communicate with each other over ports that are known and ports that are also unknown to us. Our company is a security company, so it's very important for us to know exactly which VMs are doing what at all times."
    • "It especially helps with deploying NSX, that you're not having to manually chase down and figure out what you need to do to microsegment VMs. This gives a nice option where you can say, "Hey, this VM, show me what flows are there." I can export it out and then import it as an NSX rule and job done."

What other advice do I have?

The rating for the product would be a nine because I don't know of anything that would be a ten. Nothing's perfect.
      VA
      Corporate FED (forensics and eDiscovery) at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
      Helps us understand what is happening in the VDI space and respond to issues

What is our primary use case?

We currently use it to find specific defects in our network flows. We're trying to streamline all our virtual needs with respect to network flows. The primary use case is to make sure that we disperse our dollars in the right sense; that we use it the way we're supposed to use it, optimally. The idea is to understand how it works and do more of it and eliminate things that don't make sense. In terms of performance, so far so good. Nobody is complaining.

What other advice do I have?

I love what we can do with this and I love everything it gives to us. I rate it a nine out of ten because I don't see users complaining a lot. For what we need, for the most part, we get it. It's not 100 percent, it's not like something we distributed to the whole organization. But I'm sure the CIO will want to do that when we can.
      MR
      Sys Engineer at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
      Allows us to see how network devices function: glitches, fluctuations, packet drops

What is our primary use case?

We use it to monitor the network, the infrastructure. It's performing well.

• "It allows us to see how the network devices function as well as to see network glitches or fluctuations or dropping of packets."

What other advice do I have?

We just started with it recently. We are still working on it, to get familiar with the product. The first criterion, when selecting a vendor, should be technical support. Whenever we call, we should get technical support. Support is the main thing.
        AS
        Architect at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
        Provides a unified view of the whole system and even helps with capacity planning

What is our primary use case?

The use case is to get insight into the network, how many resources are being used. We look at the GUI and see what kind of traffic flows are happening east-west, and who is talking to whom, and how much bandwidth is consumed. That can even give us some idea about capacity planning.

• "It gives the visibility that was either broken or there in pieces only. This solution provides a unified view of the whole system, back and forth. It has helped to reduce time to value, increase performance, more easily manage networks, and provide deep visibility."
        • "I would like to see them expand the capabilities to infrastructure types other than just VMware."

What other advice do I have?

It's definitely worth investigating. You need to look at the environment, but it's worth the time to look into it and see if it fits with your purposes.
        KV
        Senior Engineer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
        Helps improve our SLA times by pointing us directly to problems, but it needs to support additional network hardware

What is our primary use case?

It's not just on the networking side that we use it. We use vRealize products in our product data, in developing software, as a managed cloud provider. We use vRealize Network Insight as part of our product, which can later be used by the support team to check all the problems which are arising in the network itself. We use software-defined networking, SDN. That's one reason we are using it. In terms of its performance, we are still in a beta version of our product itself. We are not using it greatly in production yet but we will be using it in two or three months, down the line. There are… more »

• "Whenever we say "valuable" with respect to the network, it's more towards the security. The firewall rule issues it shows us and the recommendations that we get from vRNI are the most valuable features because they are actually making our network more secure."
        • "compare-to-competition; I would recommend the product. I don't think there is any other product like this on the market right now."
        • "While it's not exactly a feature, what normally happens when we are trying to look at the VM flow portion is - although Network Insight does have options to integrate a few physical switches into it - we can't really get an end-to-end flow of the network. We might be using a few switches that are not supported by Network Insight. That is where they can improve, in the support for more physical switches and network devices."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend the product. I don't think there is any other product like this on the market right now. I rate this product at seven out of ten because the product is great but there are still a few more improvements that can be made to it, as I said above. It could have more physical devices integrated and supported. When selecting any type of vendor, our most important criteria is support.
        MT
        Infrastructure Admin at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
        Enables us to easily see the path that the VM traffic is taking

What is our primary use case?

We want to use it for the basics, checking out traffic flows. One of the main reasons we got it was that we have a new mobile application, and we'd like to track all the traffic between the different layers: DMZ layer, database layer, app layer.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is being able to easily see the path that the VM traffic is taking, what ports are in use.

What needs improvement?

It's pretty much user-friendly, but it could always be friendlier. Anything that would make it easier would be helpful.

So far, it has been pretty stable.

As far as I know, the scalability is good.

How is customer service and

JR
        Infrastructure Architect at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
        Gives us much better insight into how we're deploying and how we perform after we deploy

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is for tracking flows within the data center and it has worked very well.

• "What's valuable to us is the ability to get a view into the virtual space, which is something we haven't had before. Before, it was done by collecting from network endpoints and extrapolating into the virtual environment. Now it's coming directly from the virtual environment."
        • "In a very general way, I would like to see an improvement in interoperability with third-party product, from other vendors."

What other advice do I have?

If you're VMware shop, investigate this deeply because it makes sense to live in the ecosystem.
        MN
        Manager, Data Center at a consultancy with 10,001+ employees
        MSP
        It helps pinpoint what we need for analyzing and for troubleshooting

What is our primary use case?

We use it for networking and it has performed well.

• "The most valuable features are the monitoring and tracking. It's also intuitive and user-friendly. The screen looks exactly the same as the other appliances for VMware, so it's easy to navigate."
        • "I would like to see more reporting features, more dashboards."

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely endorse the solution.
        JP
        Engineer at a logistics company with 10,001+ employees
        Enables us to set up appropriate rules to make sure we comply with our security frameworks

What is our primary use case?

For us, it's for a security tool, to analyze flows and network traffic and to try to progress along the path of microsegmentation. In terms of monitoring network flows, if we're trying to set up microsegmentation rules in our distributed firewall, we'll say, "Okay, let's just start with a case." We'll try to isolate an app, and isolate all the network traffic there. We'll analyze it, validate or do discovery using vRNI, and then set up the appropriate rule.

• "It has enabled us to set up and do application discovery, as far as network traffic is concerned, and set up the appropriate rules that we need to make sure we're compliant with our security frameworks."

What other advice do I have?

There's no real advice. You'll know if you need something like this or not. You don't just purchase it and then hope for the best. You have a use case for it.
          Technica7099
          Technical Manager at a pharma/biotech company with 5,001-10,000 employees
          Provides insight into dataflow so that we can design our NSX firewalls

What is our primary use case?

It's mainly for monitoring so that we can design our NSX firewalls.

• "The UI, even though once you get to know it, it's easier, still it's hard to figure out by yourself. You have to go read, watch videos. It has a lot of data on it. So that is an issue."

What other advice do I have?

If you have a VMware suite and you are going to use NSX, then I would definitely recommend vRNI. I rate the solution at eight out of ten. I'm still getting familiar with it. The UI, even though once you get to know it, it's easier, still it's hard to figure out by yourself. You have to go read, watch videos. It has a lot of data on it. So that is an issue.
            Avinash Chundu
            System Engineer at Cabela's Incorporated
            Traces the flow of each and every packet, reducing troubleshooting time significantly

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for the solution is to monitor the end-to-end network aspect of our environment. The performance is really good. We don't have any delays or the like. It gives us really good performance.

• "vRNI can trace the flow of each and every packet and it is easy for us to troubleshoot all the issues that we do have with the networking. We can trace down the packet to a point where it has been dropped."
            • "The most valuable features are the packet trace flow and that the view of the whole environment is deep."
            • "The graphical interface of this environment is so good with all the views, the graphics, and everything in them. It's really easy for me. It doesn't need an engineer to work on it. It's easy enough that anyone can get into the environment and look for issues or look at how communication is going on across the VMs. It's pretty much straightforward."
            • "The compatibility with each and every component of the infrastructure is the main thing that I am looking for. I would like them to make sure that it's compatible with different kinds of storage systems, etc. I have seen the compatibility list. I feel it can be more compatible than it is right now."

What other advice do I have?

If you are having too many issues with your network, having issues with tracing the flow of your network, this is the product you should be using to troubleshoot the issues. I rate it a nine out of ten. It's not a ten because of the compatibility issue.
            TS
            Network Architect at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
            Gives us insight into VM-to-VM communication, end-to-end transparency

What is our primary use case?

We use it to capture the logs from the network and then build and figure out the policies for microsegmentation. In addition, if anything goes down, it captures the logs. We have it integrated with vCenter and NSX Manager. It captures the logs from there, and then it updates the logs. From there we can figure things out. Also, we can make a bubble and then we can figure out the grouping.

• "It helps a lot because, until now, we didn't have the tools to figure out the micro level, VM-to-VM kind of traffic; that was not in the current environment. We could not figure out VM-to-VM communication from the other tools. This is the tool which gives us end-to-end transparency."
            • "I want to see more in terms of microsegmentation. As of now, I can see the rules, but they are not in a readable format that I can convert to microsegmentation and can fit into NSX Manager."

What other advice do I have?

I would tell a colleague who is looking into this or a similar solution that vRNI is a great tool because, without it, it would be impossible to manage the operations part. I rate vRNI at eight out of ten. For the other two points, I would need more regarding the microsegmentation part. It doesn't give me the clarity I want. It captures a lot, but it doesn't give complete clarity. That is something I am looking for. When looking for a vendor, support is the main criteria.
            MichaelGonzalez
            VMware NSX Engineer at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
            Allows us to go from virtual through NSX, up to the core, and see all of that in one pane of glass

What is our primary use case?

They have a legacy environment that they're trying to use microsegnmentation on. So the use case is to facilitate that because they don't necessarily know a lot of the firewall rules from the original environment, which was a physical environment. Now that it has gone virtual, they want to use the vRNI to get better firewall rules in there and make it more streamlined. The main usage of it is microsegmentation and troubleshooting, not real monitoring of the environment, because we have other tools that do the monitoring of the environment. But when it comes down to bringing in new environments… more »

• "It allows us to go from virtual through NSX, up to the core, and see all of that in one pane of glass, it's pretty easy."
            • "Also, the ability to troubleshoot all the way across the NSX part of it to the physical and actually watch the packets go through and then see where the bottleneck is or where the interruption is. We run queries on the network flows within the application to find where they are in it and it graphically tells us how the packets are actually going through the system."
            • "It's very user-friendly in the sense that the querying is just regular language like you and I speak or write. You don't need to know any SQL-query type of language to be able to get what you want out of it."
            • "As a troubleshooting tool, it's a level-3 troubleshooting-skills tool and it's very easy to use and very easy to find the information that you need."
            • "The only real improvement they can make is to add more third-party vendors into the environment, mostly switch manufacturers, because it's really limited to Cisco equipment and there are a lot of companies out there other than Cisco."

What other advice do I have?

It's a pretty good system if you're doing troubleshooting and microsegmentation. As a troubleshooting tool, it's a level-3 troubleshooting-skills tool and it's very easy to use and very easy to find the information that you need. I rate it a seven out of ten, only because it doesn't have all the vendors - at least the switch vendors - in there. They only have Cisco, for the most part, and you really need all of them to make it because companies don't just use Cisco for everything.
            RL
            Senior IT Manager at a university with 5,001-10,000 employees
            We can see everything going on in NSX and get a good picture of our environment

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is to use it do design and for troubleshooting the future. We have had the product for three weeks now.

• "We can see everything going on in NSX and get a good picture of our environment."
            • "The product is slightly complex use, while still being user-friendly. It could use more training modules, as it is not a straightforward product."

What other advice do I have?

Do the training before purchasing. Research the product and its competitors. Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: technical knowledge. They need to understand their product.
            JG
            Principal Architect at a healthcare company with 5,001-10,000 employees
            Visualization enables us to classify network objects and applications and see their interactions

What is our primary use case?

We use it for auditing our firewall compliance. For network segmentation, we want to see that we are compliant and that we are staying compliant with the business goals. We've been using it for about six months and the early work we've been doing with it is promising, it looks good.

• "The most valuable feature is the visualization. It's really handy to be able to classify network objects as with applications and see the interaction between them."
            • "There's enough information there, especially in the visualizations, but I would love to see this in a kiosk mode, where I could have a dashboard for interested stakeholders to see and appreciate what's going on. Then, moving on to a more practical level for our Help Desk, our operations team could benefit by seeing, in real-time, a visual view of the network."
            • "The only reason I would not give it a nine or a 10 is for cost reasons. It seems to be one of those things that really belongs as part of the product inherently and not as an add-on. That would be my only concern."

What other advice do I have?

It's easy enough to try. Get with their account team, get some trial licenses and give it a whirl. It's worth spending a weekend to give it a shot. It's hard for me to give it a 10 out of 10, it's hard for me to give it a six out of 10, so my rating is in the middle. The only reason I would not give it a nine or a 10 is for cost reasons. It seems to be one of those things that really belongs as part of the product inherently and not as an add-on. That would be my only concern.
            PS
            Enterprise Solutions Architect at a healthcare company with 5,001-10,000 employees
            Visualization of applications enables us to familiarize our applications analysts with ports

What is our primary use case?

Like most companies, we don't necessarily know what ports are necessary for our applications to talk to each other, so we're hoping to get insight on that for increasing our microsegmentation with NSX. In terms of monitoring network flows, we're just looking specifically at the flows within one VDS, so we can dive down through that VDS and isolate virtual machines. Then it gives us that visualization. We have not moved into the physical side of that at this time. It's performing very well. We're still going through the learning pains so we haven't quite got out of it most of what we're looking… more »

• "The solution is extremely intuitive and user-friendly. When you log in to the application you are presented with a dashboard that is very reasonable for an initial user, and you can then customize it to your specific needs. But for all the data that we've found, we've only had to go through two or three drill-downs to get into that information."

What other advice do I have?

We would absolutely recommend it. In fact, we've had that experience where it was recommended to us and we said, "We need this, we need to do this." We are very positive so far with everything we've seen in this tool.
              Brett Frank
              Sys Admin at Aurora public schools
              Tightens security and gives us deep visibility into our network

What is our primary use case?

We use it to manage our servers, our virtual vSphere environment. It has performed exceptionally. We're able to get a lot of versatility into our network, into our STDC, with the VMs and the NSX that we also have running.

• "It has really tightened down the security. That was something that we were lacking. It has also given us deep visibility into our network. We can really get down and see all of the traffic within the data center, between the VMs, between the applications, database servers, other application servers, web servers. We can identify everything that is communicating, and we can see it all on one product."
              • "I find it user-friendly and intuitive. With the GUI interface that we do use on a regular basis, it's easy to navigate, it's easy to see, easy to query. We get reports. It's easy to use."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it an eight out of 10. It's not a 10 because of our experience with the vendor. I believe the product is a great product and, obviously, the VMware applications that we're using, we have had no issues with them.
                SA
                Virtualization at a university with 10,001+ employees
                Made migration to NSX much easier, micro-segmentation would not have occurred without it

What is our primary use case?

We mostly use it for profiling applications. It works quite well.

• "The most valuable feature is the profiling of the applications for micro-segmentation... It has made the migration to NSX much easier. Most of the sys admins within the smaller silos, they have no idea what ports are needed to run their stuff at all. I am pretty sure the micro-segmentation would never, ever have occurred without it."
                • "I would like to see application identification. That would be cool."

What other advice do I have?

The most important criterion when selecting a vendor is whether or not we think they're going to survive for more than the next license cycle. I would rate this solution a strong nine out of 10. It would be a 10 if it were free.
                Nicholas Aronne
                Product Manager at Sovlabs
                Automates many tasks, allows our developers to quickly develop, provision, de-provision

What is our primary use case?

We actually write a plugin for vRA that allows customers to integrate with third-party vendors, such as IPAM solutions, DNS, SolarWinds, BlueCat, Infoblox, and about 30 other modules. We both use vRNI and build for it. It has been performing really well.

• "We're a smaller company so it automates a lot of the tasks and lets us focus in on building out our own solution. It's quicker, there is less building of manual solutions, and less downtime. It allows our developers to quickly develop, get provisioning done, de-provisioning, etc; the stuff that you would expect to be able to make it streamlined."

What other advice do I have?

For the most part, it is user-friendly. It continues to grow and mature. It's definitely headed in the right direction. The fact that they continue to want to improve the customer experience is important. The product is great to begin with but they realize that nothing is perfect and they want to keep improving it.
                  DavidPowell
                  Partner consultant at Kis
                  Enables us to see Layer 3-bounded network traffic that we wouldn't otherwise be able to see

What is our primary use case?

The primary use is to identify different types of traffic that are in the network and identify what policies we need to apply to meet our security requirements. The performance has been excellent.

• "It allows you to see traffic that you couldn't otherwise see, which is traffic within your Layer 3-bounded network, meaning east-west traffic. It's hard to get that any other way."
                  • "It is user-friendly. It's pretty simple to deploy and to run. It gives you pretty easy-to-understand reports, very graphically intense, so you can visualize what's going on in your network."
                  • "It has definitely helped us to meet compliance rules by assuring that all traffic is going to where it's supposed to go. It can be used to report that you are in compliance, as well as helping you get into compliance."
                    Ralph Stoker
                    Infrastructure architect at State of Ohio
                    Gives me insight into which servers interact with other elements in the environment, helps me to maintain them

What is our primary use case?

We are attempting to discover legacy network transactions and convert them to micro-segmentation rules with NSX-T.

• "The most valuable feature for me is the different views that you can get when selecting an application or a VLAN. It shows you the traffic flows. It gives you a visual representation of something that, in text, just may not make as much sense."
                    • "It's user-friendly. It's similar to the GUI that most VMware products are moving to, and the consistency across those makes it easy to switch from one product to another. Also, the search bar at the top is plain text and it helps you, it guides you along with your search query, so that helps. The first day you're in there you can start building actual queries."
                    • "When we talk about those micro-segmentation rules, there's an Export function. It is very macro-segmentation oriented instead. So if you choose an application, it will find the tiers within that application and say that it's communicating on, say, port 80 to a separate VLAN. There might be 200 machines in that other VLAN. You don't want to open port 80 at all of them. So we need a lot more granularity in those suggested firewall rules."

What other advice do I have?

I want to say it's a 10 out of 10. If they fix that micro-segmentation thing it will absolutely be a 10. Right now it's about an eight out of 10. I think it's just a big jump. If they can fix that micro-seg, that means so much more to me, so I would give it that extra boost for that. But the usability of it, how nice the interface is, those are great. If they improve the API that might get us to a nine, but if they get the micro-seg, I'll give them the other two points.
                    SM
                    SDDC Practice Lead at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
                    MSP
                    The ability to use the natural language query and see the visualization can be quickly intuitive

What is our primary use case?

We are able to analyze application flows through the network. It is performing very well. It allows us to do a quick analysis of protocols, applications, and network pathing for our customers, then it has them analyze their needs for working application availability.

• "The ability to use the natural language query and see the visualization is quickly intuitive, and it works very well."
                    • "I would like to see more interoperability on the firewall and low balancer sides."

What other advice do I have?

We typically just deploy the latest version that we have, and that's it. We don't go back and do upgrades. Either the customers are doing that themselves or we don't have a specific service that does that. This is a must have product if you're a very big gamma customer. You have to have a way to analyze how networking is slowing through your environment. We used to have the 1000V when we had Cisco for our Cisco customers, and we could use some of that solution, but there is not really any other tool that will provide the type of fidelity and richness of beta that you will need from your VMware…
                    Network Administrator at Modern Woodmen of America
                    Enables me to represent network data in a way that management, and non-network engineers, can understand

What is our primary use case?

We use it for network troubleshooting, to provide some capacity reports, and to help generate rules for NSX microsegmentation.

• "One of the most valuable features is the ability to look at the traffic flows, to look at NetFlow data."
                    • "I'd like to see better support for being able to search the hardware NetFlow data. It ingests fairly well, but you can't tell, in a lot of cases, what source the data came from. I'd like to see more support for picking specific sources. That way you could really make a compelling use case. There are also some difficulties where it can't exactly trace the path between source and destination but if you hit the reverse flow on the same search it shows the entire path."
                    • "There are some random glitches in the Web UI, but they are usually pretty cosmetic in nature. I don't really seem to use any browser other than Chrome with it. I also get some weird errors from time to time on the hardware NetFlow Collectors, where it doesn't sync data."

What other advice do I have?

There is not an easier way to do this. If you have unlimited time, maybe go look at something else. But if you don't, then this is would be the way to do it. I rate it a nine out of 10. It's a fantastic product, it's great. Some of the things I think it should be able to search on, it doesn't. I would also like to see tighter integration with some logging and SNMP-type information. I also use Splunk so I'd like to see something with Splunk. I know it can do vRealize Log Insight but that doesn't seem to do a whole lot for me yet. I only gave it a nine because I know there's so much more…
                    BC
                    Staff SYS Admin at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
                    Allowed us to set up NSX without having to determine each port and IP address that should have access or be blocked

What is our primary use case?

We used it for our VDI solution to track down all of the network beginning and endpoints.

• "It allowed us to set up NSX and to do microsegmentation, without all of the pain points of having to determine each port and each IP address that needed to have access, and which ones needed to be blocked."
                    • "The most valuable feature for us is that insight into what our network is really doing - it's a fairly complex network. Not having to go through thousands of lines of network configuration to find firewall ports that were open or closed, for various ports, was very valuable. It went out and found everything we need very quickly."
                    • "After you use it for a little while you become accustomed to it but the layout doesn't feel very intuitive. You have to dig around and find the exact place where you can find the information, where you can actually see your east-west traffic, etc. I would like them to bring that information more to the forefront, instead of having to find it."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this product an eight out of 10. I might give it a higher rating if we used it more. We used it for a period of time and then we stopped using it. There was nothing wrong with it, we just didn't use it enough to see it as a 10 out of 10. The most important criterion when selecting a vendor is finding one who will actually give what is promised.
                    LH
                    Systems Engineer at a insurance company with 501-1,000 employees
                    Helps us verify whether certain servers/applications should be communicating

What is our primary use case?

We're using it for our microsegmentation project. The performance has been good.

• "I like being able to see the flows coming in and out of the product. In terms of monitoring network flows, we use it to verify whether or not different servers/applications should be communicating with each other."
                    • "It needs to be a little easier to use and to understand the information it's putting out. That would make it more helpful. If you're not a network person you need to understand things like network policies and concepts. If you gave it to a regular admin, it would be nice if it were easier for them to pick up what is going on, understand the flows and whether or not stuff should be talking to each other, as opposed to just port groups and IP addresses."
                    • "If it were more application-aware, more descriptive; if it were able to determine the application that is actually doing the communication, that would be easier. More application information: which user or account it's accessing, is it accessing this application, doing these calls, if it is accessing a script, what script is it accessing. Things like that would provide deeper analytics so I can track what's going on. It would not just be, "These people shouldn't be talking," but who is actually doing these calls."

What other advice do I have?

Make sure the solution you're looking at is compatible with what you want to do and that it has future growth to it; not just a pinpoint solution but a solution that is part of a bigger vision. You don't want to buy a product that does just this one thing and then you have to buy another product to do something else. Make sure it has interoperability and integration points with some of your bigger infrastructure. I would rate vRNI at eight out of 10. It would be a 10 if it could bubble up deeper application and user information.
                    it_user526068
                    System Administrator at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
                    You can view flows inside your network, though the GUI needs improvement

What is most valuable?

The way you can view flows inside your network.

How has it helped my organization?

We're able to implement intersects using this tool.

What needs improvement?

Make the GUI easier to use.

I recommend for anyone deploying this solution that you are going to have to get everything to point to that piece of software. So, you get a good rating, thus getting you good data.

It's good. Solid.

It's good.

I haven't used technical support.

We weren't using anything previously. We…
                    AP
                    Systems Engineer at Mednax
                    Makes it easier to identify issues and troubleshoot them

What other advice do I have?

The way technology works, you've got to catch up. If you're basically staying in a legacy environment, and everything is moving rapidly, you've got to stay ahead of the game. Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: customer support. My recommendation: If you're looking to minimize your downtime, your troubleshooting, and the amount of resources being used in order to look at logs and troubleshoot an issue, this is the solution.
                    it_user730227
                    Senior Infrastructure Architect at Cognizant technology solutions
                    Creates faster access and searchability of the logs for troubleshooting

What other advice do I have?

Most important criteria when selecting a vendor is that they're there when you need them. For someone looking at this solution: Look deep.
                    it_user730296
                    Systems Admin at American century investments
                    Better able to understand our needs for future growth and budgeting purposes

What other advice do I have?

The most important criteria for selecting a vendor: Functionality of the product, it's got to work, then responsiveness of the support.
                    it_user730434
                    Enterprise Server Engineer at Christus health
                    Enables us to troubleshoot issues and helped us implement our NSX product

What other advice do I have?

Support is very important, to be available especially for issues that may be new with the features which we're trying to implement. We tend to request support quite a bit, so support is definitely very important. I would definitely advise, especially healthcare companies that need to secure their products, NSX using vRNI as their tool. To implement it, I would highly recommend that they invest the time to learn how to use vRNI.
                    it_user730260
                    Master Engineer at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
                    ​Provides a map of what's going on - on the network

What other advice do I have?

If they have VMware, and they're gonna stick with it, then this is probably the tool they want to look at for their network flow. Just know what your network is and what you intend to do in terms of segmentation. Know your network, know your environment.
                    Download our free IT Infrastructure Monitoring Report and find out what your peers are saying about VMware, SolarWinds, Zabbix, and more!