Alteryx Review

Stable and very fast with good scalability options

What is our primary use case?

Our clients buy the product license and then ask us to configure and set it up for them. We also provide training on product use and act as troubleshooters if customers have problems. The company has a 15-member team that provides training and consulting on multiple technologies.

We have clients who are from tax, audit, and automation. They also use Automation Anywhere and Robotic Process Automation Application.

There are three primary use cases for this product.

Firstly, we have a case study that involved lot of buy and sell transactions in Dubai (real estate). We wanted to create a model that takes up all the data sets that are frequently upgraded, and then be able to extract a ballpark transaction value based on multiple parameters. A big task was to sanitize the data including how to handle incomplete data sets.

Secondly, it is used to automate reconciliation of tax related system entries. For example, or for tax reconciliation such as a client in India where there is something similar to VAT called GST, a requirement to reconcile different transactions and make sure both party's accounting books match.

Finally, there is a case where you have your own accounting software such as SAP and it has to talk to another software application, which is not SAP compatible so we use Alteryx.

What is most valuable?

There's no single feature I can think of that stands out as being the most valuable, but we've worked on multiple areas such as analytical apps, especially to connect with Facebook, LinkedIn, and multiple other online data APIs. We also use batch macros to automate and repeat steps many times over. These two features help us a lot. They are slightly more advanced, so it's not for a regular user, but these are the areas where people ask for assistance.

What needs improvement?

I think the only area where the product lags is documentation and videos on the analytical app and the batch macro. We have learned the hard way, but I see people struggling there. Secondly, the tools for data science are not as user-friendly as KNIME.

Additional features that could be included would be improved documentation, more user-friendly data science, and the pricing should be more competitive.

I've been working with the product for 1.5 years. My team has been working with it for 3+ years.

The product is very stable and super fast, also five-star. In fact, the reason people use Alteryx is that it's fast. It's significantly more stable than the nearest competitor.

Scalability is excellent, five-star.

Technical support is very forthcoming in helping people out.

We use several solutions for our clients. The two main ones are Alteryx and KNIME. Probably 90% use Alteryx and 10% KNIME.

The initial setup is straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

I would suggest that the decision to purchase the product should be based on a company's level of deployment. If it's for a process for a pharma company, which is a smaller enterprise. then I recommend starting with KNIME. As the data gets bigger, switch to Alteryx.

I think they should have a student version just like Tableau does. Not all the tools, but the basic top 10 or 15 tools. The reason I suggest this is because there's a huge need for Alteryx users, but because of its 14-day trial period, a lot of students cannot get a handle on it so a scaled-down light version would be good.

I would rate this product an 9 out of 10.

More Alteryx reviews from users