Apache JMeter Review
Reporting feature can be improved but allows us to simulate a load of concurrent users on our application

Valuable Features:

Almost all features provided by JMeter are helpful.

Improvements to My Organization:

We have a solution called Service Quality Manager portal and is a web based solution to do service management. We do performance testing of this solution using JMeter. It allows us to simulate a load of concurrent users on our application and find out performance bottlenecks in the application.

Room for Improvement:

Reporting feature can be improved to provide better test results.

Use of Solution:

We have been using JMeter for 5 years.

Deployment Issues:

I did not encounter any issue while deploying JMeter.

Stability Issues:

I did not encounter any issue with stability.

Scalability Issues:

Yes, While running with a large number of simulated users, sometimes we got thread exceptions and we restarted our testing simulation.

As such there is no customer service provided by Apache for JMeter. This software is free to use under Apache licensing system.

Previous Solutions:

We tried BadBoy but it lacked features.

Initial Setup:

Initial setup of JMeter is simple. A user can go ahead and start using it just by following it's documentation.

Implementation Team:

We implemented JMeter using our own in-house team.

ROI:

I am not sure yet.

Cost and Licensing Advice:

As it is java based software an can run on any platform supporting JVM.

Other Advice:

I would suggest to verify one's own business need and evaluate certain parameters first like Feasibility and Reliability of Automation, Ease in maintenance of automated test cases, Time saving in Manual or Automated Testing.

2 Comments

Dmitri T.Real UserTOP 20

Thanks for sharing your experience. I agree that vanilla JMeter reports are hard to read/understand but JMeter is module architecture and any test element is basically a plugin. For the moment there is a number of http://jmeter-plugins.org/">JMeter Plugins which provide extended results analysis functionality.

A couple of JMeter Plugins can upload results to Cloud services providing powerful analysis and metrics, to wit:

http://jmeter-plugins.org/wiki/LoadosophiaUploader/">Loadosophia.org Uploader

http://community.blazemeter.com/knowledgebase/articles/83191-blazemeter-plugin-to-jmeter">BlazeMeter Plugin to JMeter

The last one provides useful bi-dimensional graphs and has unique feature of different test run results comparison.

13 August 14
Orlee GillisConsultant

How would you suggest improving the reporting features?

10 October 16