Apache JMeter Overview

Apache JMeter is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Performance Testing Tools. It is most often compared to Postman: Apache JMeter vs Postman

What is Apache JMeter?

Apache JMeter may be used to test performance both on static and dynamic resources, Web dynamic applications. It can be used to simulate a heavy load on a server, group of servers, network or object to test its strength or to analyze overall performance under different load types.

Apache JMeter is also known as JMeter.

Apache JMeter Buyer's Guide

Download the Apache JMeter Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2021

Apache JMeter Customers

AOL, Orbitz, Innopath Software, PrepMe, Sapient, Corporate Express Australia, CSIRO, Ephibian, Talis, DATACOM, ALALOOP, eFusion, Panter, Sourcepole, University of Western Cape

Apache JMeter Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Apache JMeter pricing:
  • "I haven't looked into it. Most of our projects are nonprofit or grant-based. Everything is public commons, so we don't really have to worry about that so much."
  • "I switched to Apache because it is free. Other tools are much too expensive and can cost up to $50,000 a year if you are looking at commercial options."
  • "I was using the free version of the software."

SG
Quality Engineering Delivery Leader at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Good performance and easy to configure but could use better UI

What is our primary use case?

We're primarily using the solution for its performance. It's on our data center.

• "The performance of the solution is excellent."
  • "You really need a technical team in order to really utilize the product."

What other advice do I have?

I'm not quite sure which version of the solution our team is using right now. It's likely the latest version. We did the upgrade on our tools in 2019. It's open-source, and therefore everybody picks up the latest one. As an open-source tool, there's a good community surrounding it. If you have automation frameworks or a DevOps pipeline, you can connect that and easily configure everything to streamline processes. Due to the fact that it's open-source, you don't have to wait to get the approvals and the budgets in order. That part alone can take months to sometimes years. If your company has…
DD
Global IT Digital Test Manager at a healthcare company with 501-1,000 employees
Good reports and analysis capabilities with a quick initial setup

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution to manage our capabilities. Wherever the business goes, we need to work within the expected benchmark. In terms of the user bases we deal with, most of these are products from different locations with different types of functional flow-out. There are environmental integrations also running in the background, which a user is basically accessing while going through a particular workflow. We'll also handle the reporting section of our data management responsibilities utilizing this system.

• "The reports and analysis tools are very good. They are the solution's most valuable features."
  • "It's not easy to get the data from one place or to do customizations."

What other advice do I have?

If companies have mobile development, they should use JMeter. If they want to integrate it with the PA pipeline, JMeter will work well. However, there are other platforms and solutions as well. Other options include Silk Performer and Load Impact. These two solutions have other capabilities that JMeter doesn't have. You can basically model your load and structure with them. You can't do that on this solution. On Silk Performer, you can also do network packeting, which you can't do on JMeter. Then there are some network features available in Load Impact as well as Silk Performer that aren't in…
Learn what your peers think about Apache JMeter. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
521,817 professionals have used our research since 2012.
AndrewRath
Azure Cloud Test Manager at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Great community support, industry-standard, and works well

What is our primary use case?

I've used JMeter in conjunction with Selenium, Java, and Log4j for logging. I used it before I ended that contract in August. Its version was up to date at that time. It was used for an e-commerce site that is specialized in C-PAP or weaving machines in effect. Their max was a thousand people logged in at once. I, of course, pushed the boundaries on that, but it was to test the performance of the website, and of course, I'm had to try subsystems, database interactions, etc.

• "The biggest thing I liked about it is that there is a huge user base out there, and being shareware and being Apache, if I have any question on how to get something done, I get 18 different answers. Out of those, there would be at least a few good approaches for what I was trying to do. So, the support system out there is most valuable."
  • "I sometimes found the documentation to be not as explanatory as I would've liked it. In the cases that I can think of, I was looking for a rather hand-holding approach with Step A, B, and C, but then I realized that with a product that is open source like this, you can't do handholding. That is because there are so many different uses and different unique environments and setups for it, but I remember thinking a few times that if they only just said this."

What other advice do I have?

Don't be shy in asking questions. Google/Bing is your friend. It is complicated. There's no reason to spend eight hours trying to figure out something, except unless you are trying to learn in-depth. There are a lot of people who've done exactly what you're trying to do, and it doesn't matter what it is. I would rate it a 10 out of 10 because it is industry standard. It did everything I could've asked. I barely scratched the surface, but what I needed it for, it did well and in a very straightforward-to-implement way.
Jayanta Kar
Automation and Nft Manager at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Excellent for load testing in use cases with high TPS

What is our primary use case?

Our use cases are for applications such as E-commerce sites where there are multiple concurrent users. In some cases, there is also API load testing where a high number API calls are required for load testing.

• "When there's a high number of TPS I can achieve more transactions per seconds given the hyper-limitations."
  • "JMeter output reports can be difficult to understand without training."

What other advice do I have?

For the load test which requires high transactions per second to be achieved, in the range of 15K transactions per second, this is a very good tool to use and the biggest advantage is that it is free. It has a big user group, so we can find solutions easily if there are any challenges. It's really a very good open-source tool for any organization to look at in terms of performance tests. I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.
SB
I.T. Architect at a manufacturing company with 11-50 employees
Scalable and stable, easy to use, can be automated, and has good community support

What is our primary use case?

We use Apache JMeter ( /products/apache-jmeter-reviews ) for API testing. Our latest task combines test cases with our CI/CD pipeline for deployment to Kubernetes ( /products/kubernetes-reviews ). Tests are developed locally and automated for the build using standard Unit and Integration testing techniques. Once deployment is successful to Kubernetes ( /products/kubernetes-reviews ), we develop the JMeter ( /products/apache-jmeter-reviews ) tests for automation in promotion scenarios. Thereafter, once a deployment is successful, we can automate promotion to the next level based on test… more »

• "The scripting ability is most valuable. It is easy to use. There is a UI, and you can go in there and figure those things out. After you've got a good set of tests, you basically have a scripted document that you can grab and execute in a pipeline. It is pretty quick to set up, and you can scale it and version control it."
  • "Because so much is being done these days with authentication processes, a better system for either getting bearer tokens or some kind of token-based authentication prior to executing APIs would benefit the product. It is there, and you can do things. It is just not real clean at this point. There should be a better authentication process for JMeter or some automation or better guidelines for gaining and utilizing tokens on the fly."

What other advice do I have?

Understand the use case. Choosing the correct tool for any task is always a challenge. Jmeter offers a significant amount of flexibility and will work for a lot of solutions. Jmeter requires a commitment to learning for optimal operation; without that investment, tests may not yield the appropriate outcomes.
IB
Software Architect at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Script-generation is helpful for people with little programming knowledge

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use for it is testing websites: load testing and performance testing.

• "JMeter is easy to use for a user who doesn't have too much knowledge of programming or certain languages."
  • "Considering the kinds of tests we are performing here, where we launch several tests at the same time as a batch request, JMeter is not the best tool for the job. Those kinds of things could be done easily with other tools, like T6."

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend JMeter. It is a very nice tool. It is easy to use and there are several components already developed in the tool that you can use to simplify the process of defining and redefining scripts. But I would like it to be more flexible and integrate with other tools.
ArtemCheremisin
Performance Test Architect at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
MSP
Continuously offers new features and plug-ins and has valuable coding features

What is our primary use case?

I set a script reporting and execute test report and analysis on almost all stages of the performance cycle except in regards to requirements and the environment.

• "The solution offers a lot of plug-ins and a huge continuously developing community that is regularly offering new features and plug-ins."
  • "The solution could use some sort of educational features to offer tips and hints to help users navigate it better. They should improve the manuals and help files."

What other advice do I have?

For people thinking about implementing the solution, I would advise that they know what protocols they want to work with. I would recommend doing an evaluation of script maintenance. You need to see how stable your automation disk and performance is. I would rate this solution nine out of ten. The solution offers a lot of plug-ins and a huge, continuously developing community that is regularly offering new features and plug-ins.
RS
Quality Assurance Test Manager at a printing company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Cost-effective and straightforward to deploy, but the reporting needs to be improved

What is our primary use case?

When I was last using JMeter, we were simulating 200 concurrent users and evaluating performance based on transaction times. We were defining SLAs based on the results. Essentially, we created load scenarios and testing different ones using different workload models.

• "The recording and playback functionality is helpful."
  • "The reporting is not very good."

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is considering JMeter is to just install it and try it. Creating scripts is a different process when you compare it to LoadRunner or Neoload. There is different terminology compare to these two products, so if somebody has not used JMeter then it may seem difficult at first. I would rate this solution a six out of ten.
See 11 more Apache JMeter Reviews
Download our free Apache JMeter Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.