Apache Web Server Review
Clearly one of the best open-source products for running web servers. Our web server of choice for running web servers for more than 7 years and counting.

Valuable Features:

The Apache Web Server is our software of choice for running our web servers for the past seven (7) years. It's clearly one of the best open-source projects in world, as its continuing existence and use is a testament to how great this software is.There have been numerous web server software that has come out in the recent years like Nginx and lhttpd, but the Apache web server has remained as the web server of choice for a lot of organizations world-wide.What I like about the Apache Web Server is that it just simply works. It's very easy to set-up and configure, and you can have a website up in a few minutes. Furthermore, it supports a lot of web scripting languages which even made it more popular.

Room for Improvement:

The only thing that gives me a frown about the Apache Web Server is the command-line configuration. Though it can be configured via web control panels like webmin, you really have to dig deep into the configuration files to really make apache work.The Apache Web Server is undoubtedly one of the best web server software in the world. What's even better is that it's free and remains free even after years of existing. Truly one of the most successful open-source projects ever.

Other Advice:

For simple websites, the Apache web server is easy to install and configure. It can even be configured with web hosting panels. However, configuring the Apache web server from the command line is recommended for complex applications like virtual hosting.

2 Comments

it_user4401VendorPOPULAR

In the past I used Apache Web Server, Internet Information Services, Oracle http Server, IBM http server and others, but I think Apache is the most complete of them. I recommend it, even if it has command-line configuration.

24 February 13
it_user1068VendorLEADERBOARD

Although our data center is still young (just more than a year old), it is doing great. Apache was the only option for us at the time of implementation. With no previous experience, it was not a walk in the park for us when doing the configuration. However, we succeeded to complete the configuration successfully and got our servers up and up. I would recommend Apache to anyone. Despite the initial hurdles with configuration, our servers have been efficient and effective up-to-date.

19 May 13