Apache Web Server Review
A great web server to start hosting your web sites

Valuable Features:

Depending on what operating system you are using, you can have a website up in no time using Apache web server. Very easy to install on multiple platforms.90% of our web servers are using Apache, I like the fact that there is no management interface, so that we can minimize system resources when it comes to large scale deployments.As Apache is opensource the community is great when it comes to documentation and troubleshooting problems.

Room for Improvement:

If Apache master the ability of hosting websites/web apps that use Microsoft's .Net framework then it will definitely be the best web server to use.Internally we have both Microsoft IIS web servers and Apache web servers. We only use IIS for web sites that are developed in .net, for any other website written in php, perl, java (also many more) we use Apache.For anyone who is looking to host websites or proxy servers, I advise you to use Apache, also there's no cost - only for the hardware of the machine that you are running it from.

Other Advice:

From experience I have found that Apache runs smoothly and a lot faster on Ubuntu.
1 visitor found this review helpful

2 Comments

it_user3876ConsultantPOPULAR

From security point of view, IIS server is better or Apache. And can we use php with IIS server?

18 February 13
it_user3870VendorLEADERBOARD

Hi Imran,

Yes you can use php for IIS but I wouldn't advise it, I have had sites written in php running on IIS, however php parsing is a lot slower on IIS than apache.

Also I have to disagree about the point of security, there are a lot more vulnerabilities on Windows then on Linux. Any website can be fully secure if you always have an up to date system that is locked down.

Wissam