Avada Software Infrared360 Review

Ability to monitor all types of middleware (ESB, MQ, Web Services, URL). User Interface is somewhat plain.

Our organization has been using Infrared360 for almost 2 years now. I have been very happy with this product so I decided to post my experiences with it. Our environment consists of z/OS, Linux, AIX and Windows hardware. Our middleware infrastructure consists of Websphere ESB, MQ Series, WAS and numerous web services. Specifically our MQ infrastructure is comprised of clustered multi-instance queue managers and Message Brokers, pub/sub.

When our organization decided to look at other middleware management tools we decided to look at agentless solutions. I have been working with agent based for over 10 years from various vendors and I can sum up my reasons for not wanting them:

Prolonged deployment cycles

Dependency on the underlying OS.

New release of Agent required to take advantage of new features in middleware software

Agents can introduce another point of failure.

Proprietary solution.

So far the product has exceeded our expectations. We are able to monitor ALL of our middleware (URL,webservices, MQ series) with a single tool. I also like the fact that it is built on open standard components. We use Tomcat as the app server for Infrared360. No licensing costs for Tomcat. Free is good! The product offers a lot of flexibility when it comes to rule creation. We use custom alerts which requires in house java code to be executed. This was a snap with Infrared360.

Deployment is very easy and much less time consuming. This is a BIG plus. What took 4 people one month each can now be done by one person within a week. This was a major factor in our purchasing decision. Our middleware team has a lot more time to focus on the middleware infrastructure instead of testing. From a soft cost perspective we are saving a good deal of money.

The support we have received from Avada has been nothing short of superlative. No matter what problem you are trying to solve they are there every step of the way. This was just as important as the product itself. Best support experience I have ever had.

The only negative is the user interface. It is not hard to learn, but it doesn't have polished visual graphics, no pretty bells and whistles. Not a major shortcoming but definitely an area for improvement. I feel that what it doesn't have in graphics it more than makes up for in functionality.

1 visitor found this review helpful
1 Comment
JMLVVendor

Gary W, what do you think of Avada and the IR360 product these days?

07 April 16