Bitbucket Review

A more professional version than open source solutions with better facilities

What is our primary use case?

It's a source control system. We have lots of source code and we wanted to move to Git and there are a lot of different Git solutions out there, including free stuff. But we liked the features of Bitbucket, because it takes off some of the sharp edges, so to speak. It's a more professional version than the free open source Git that's widely available.

What is most valuable?

We have a couple of different tools that allow us to tie source code changes to report bugs. It's integrated with our bug tracking system and also integrated with our requirement tracking system. So we have better facilities. We could integrate these solutions using command line "hooks", but when we do it all manually, it's not likely to happen.

What needs improvement?

Even with the automation, we've had some situations where we've had mistakes. Developers have integrated code into the wrong place by mistake, so there's a fairly steep learning curve.

Being in the cloud and using large repositories can be slow. They should improve synchronizing very large repositories.

I have been using Bitbucket for six months.

It's pretty stable. We just had one incident where one of our developers somehow got access to somebody else's code using his own credentials.  He logged in like he normally does but could not see our source code; all he could see was somebody else's source code instead. That's a security problem. They cleaned it up somehow and the next time he logged in, there was no issue.

We don't have any issues with scalability. And no issues with availability today. It's on the cloud that you look for is, it's accessible worldwide, it's always working and you don't have to rely on your IT to keep it running.

There are around 100 users in our company. Their roles are Developers, DevOps, and QA.

We use several different source control systems and it's a big deal to change.  All the groups that were interested have now made the jump.

I haven't contacted customer support. When we had the incident with the employee logging in with his credentials, we called support and told them this one guy had a problem. Other than that incident it's been stable and available. No real complaints.

The setup was kind of complex. We started out with some simple examples and that was easy enough. But then when we went to migrate real code repositories, we had to get into what they call large file storage, which was complex to set up.

The deployment took about a month with a small focus group and I would say it probably took two or three months to get everybody comfortable using it.

We use it on the cloud. It's the latest and greatest. You don't have to pay for maintenance and you get automatic updates and hardware and backups and all that nice stuff. I paid a little premium for it, but you get a lot of benefits.

Licensing is on a monthly basis, it's available on their website. They have a free version, a pro version and then they have an enterprise version.  The Pro version is kind of the middle of the road for about $7 per user per month.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise getting some Git training.  Something like 85% of all developers use Git. So it's like the defacto standard for source control.  Bitbucket is a brand of Git that has some nice features on top of the core functionality.

The biggest lesson learned was, we should've done a little bit more training for the developers. It was very informal and should've probably been more formal, not necessarily sending everybody to university or a class, but a little more hand-holding.

I would rate it an eight out of ten. I give it this rating because there was the integration with the other tools.

More Bitbucket reviews from users
...who compared it with GitHub
Learn what your peers think about Bitbucket. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2021.
511,607 professionals have used our research since 2012.