Bitbucket Review

We get seamless integration and it is stable and easily scalable

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is as source repository. We use it to store all the source codes. So we basically use it for easy management of access to the source repository and creating pull requests. It also helps us to manage and get an overview of the different branches we have. It integrates into JIRA seamlessly so you can see the task effects on a JIRA task and Git.

What is most valuable?

What I liked the most about this program is that it integrates seamlessly with JIRA, which really adds value to our organization. I also like it as a pull request feature, even though that feature can definitely be improved.

What needs improvement?

I think the developers are constantly working on improving the pull requests support. It already works quite well, but there are still some issues with the support of the workflow and how to actually measure the time you spend on using reviews for pull requests compared to the time you actually use for doing the task. I am not really sure how that should be handled. I don't have a good solution for it yet.

I have been using Bitbucket for three to four years.

I don't have any issues with the stability of Bitbucket. It just works as it should.

The only thing I've experienced with the scalability is that you have to buy additional licenses when you exceed 50 users. That's more related to the cost model. I don't think I've experienced any scalability issues with it so far, however. I didn't expect to either because it's primarily hooked up to Git, that's the source repository.

Only when we misuse Git, like when we add large binary files to a source repository, it doesn't go that well. That's because we don't use it like it was intended to be used. It has nothing to do with Bitbucket - it's more about Git.

I haven't used their technical support yet.

I don't know exactly what the program costs, but it depends on how many users you have. We recently upgraded from 50 to 100 users, and I think it's public on the website. I am not sure.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others would be that, if they are looking for a stable on-premises solution, Bitbucket is the obvious choice. They can even use it if they are looking for a cloud solution, but we have a restriction that we have to run it on-premises. Therefore I think it's the smallest, best solution for us.

I think it's worth paying for the extra features because otherwise you end up spending a lot of time configuring open source products.

On a scale from one to 10, I rate Bitbucket a nine.

More Bitbucket reviews from users
...who compared it with GitHub
Learn what your peers think about Bitbucket. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2021.
511,607 professionals have used our research since 2012.