CA Continuous Delivery Automation Review

It can support very complex environments and dependencies

What is our primary use case?

We use it to installing a complex application in a legacy world.

How has it helped my organization?

• It supports our legacy, complex environment.
  • It gives us good feedback on visualizations and on how our processes have progressed.
  • We use it as a way to communicate during installations of complex environments to stakeholders.

What is most valuable?

It can support the following:

• Very complex environments
  • Very complex dependencies
  • Legacy environments.

What needs improvement?

At the moment, the version that we are using (version 12.0), the environment is complex with multiple installations. Therefore, the monitoring is not scalable, but this should be improved in 12.1 and 12.2.

It is very stable. That is also one of the core benefits that we press a button to do the installation. We can rely on that it is finished after eight hours, and that is a very good situation. Before, it was a manual installation, and we had a lot of issues afterwards. Now, there is a full stack installation and automatic insulation, and we can rely that the installation is working.

The solution is very scalable.

Right now, we have formal direct contact with the Automic people from the Netherlands. We also have a contract with their consultants, who are supporting us. The support is very good.

The initial setup was very complex. It was underestimated at the beginning. There is on one hand the technical aspect of the solution. On the other hand, we underestimated the organizational aspects in the company, because we also touch on processes. This was more complex in the end from a technical sense.

It is a three week manual installation for a complete server farm. Now, we have moved to an eight hours for this installation. That is the main benefit at the moment.

We save a lot of work on a lot of installations and have additional resources working on these manual installations. These resources can improve other things than the installation.

I can save time and money more quickly.

Before we started, there was a evaluation. An interesting point was that CA was approached as one of the two solution and Automic was the other. Then came the merger, and it was clear after the merger, we would be using the Automic solution and going with CA.

What other advice do I have?

It is a good solution. It is very stable and supporting for legacy environments. For complex environments, which have to be installed or managed, then it is a perfect solution.

We are at the starting point of our digital transformation and the speed up is just starting as everybody knows it is necessary. We can't stay with this manual installation, especially as the competition is not.

Main criteria when selecting a vendor: A simple installation that they could use.

They wanted a tool which could handle very complex environments with many dependencies and difficult workflows, but focus on installation first.