CA Identity Manager (CA IAM) Review

Through the centralization and automation of access management functions, we've improved our security. However, its complexity and usability are areas that could use improvement.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features to us are:

• Provisioning engine (on the back-end, separate from front-end components, that's part of layered architecture);
  • Access-request system (to manage on- and off-boarding of users); and
  • Mobile interface (ability to manage workflows and user requests from smartphone).

How has it helped my organization?

Through the centralization and automation of access management functions, and providing a baseline for identity and security analytics, we've improved our security.

What needs improvement?

I think CA Identity Manager could improve in the following areas:

• Usability
  • Stability
  • It's complex
  • The reporting functions

I've been using it since 2011 as Identity Manager (before: CA eTrust Admin).

We had multiple failures with Linux-based installers hindering deployment process on Linux platform.

No major issues with deployment on Windows.

Multiple issues with stability of the provisioning servers.

No issues encountered.

7/10

5/10

CA eTrust Admin 8.x had been upgraded to CA Identity Manager 12.5 SP9.

Initial setup was complex due to multiple inter-dependencies and high diversity of infrastructure components.

Initially implemented through the vendor team, following upgrades with an in-house team.

The level of expertise delivered by the consultancy firm was high, however it has decreased significantly in the past two years.

Pricing and licensing models are adequate and reasonable.

Identity Manager solutions from Oracle, SailPoint, IBM and RSA/EMC. The products from the mentioned vendors generally seem more competitive than today’s offering from CA.

What other advice do I have?

Run PoC with as close to production deployment as possible; pay attention to TCO and ROI after including provisioning costs on support services for implementation and maintenance as well as required design of reports and business processes and UIs.