CA Identity Manager (CA IAM) Review

Has created good, internal performance improvement and user experience

What is our primary use case?

Provisioning. It has performed well.

How has it helped my organization?

It has been good to keep zero day. We have almost zero day provisioning, where the user shows up on the first day of work and he has the necessary access, birthright roles, and such. Therefore, there has been good, internal performance improvement and user experience.

What is most valuable?

It has good endpoint support and endpoint connectivity to different versioning endpoints.

What needs improvement?

Identity Manager has a lack of entitlement support, unlike other products that I have worked with. Other products have a focus on the entitlement that a user has, where you can pick and choose access as an entitlement, and add it to the user or remove from the user. With CA it is all role-based, that is kind of a sticking point with me, so we have to work around that.

It is pretty good. Relatively stable. We have definitely had some downtime, but overall it is good.

We just have a two node cluster, so we have not really scaled. However, I imagine it is easy enough to scale those nodes, so it is scalable since it is a clustered app.

Technical support is great.

The initial setup was very complex. The product is just basically a conglomerate of a bunch of other products that were bought and pieced together. So it is still my one main gripe of Identity Manager. It is too many moving pieces; too many parts that were kind of stuck together. It makes it very complex. 10 servers and 10 different apps running to make it happen, and it is only getting worse now that Identity Plural is on top, which is supposed to be making it better, but we will cross that bridge sometime next year.