CA Identity Manager (CA IDM) Review

A single pane of glass to see what users have access to. Recurring Java memory leaks.

What is most valuable?

We only need one pane of glass to see what users have access to, especially privileged accounts.

How has it helped my organization?

Once it's in place, it's easy to use. You definitely need insight into how your company provides access to users. Especially if it's going to be role based, which most of it is. It reduces the amount of time needed for analysts to provision users; new accounts, changes, and terms.

What needs improvement?

I'd like to see the user interface be a little bit better as far as deploying the infrastructure, the back end, but I hear that it's coming.

Most of the troubleshooting workflow is based on logs, so if the logs were consolidated we would need to just look at one particular log for all the servers to figure out what going on.

For example, if you get a fail when provisioning a user, you determine where it fails, and go to the logs to see where specifically the process stopped and what tasks were not completed.

We've had CA Identity Manager for three years now.

Stability needs some work. There are some issues with the back-end infrastructure. We've noticed that in our implementation, a lot of Java memory leaks are recurring. We've gone back and forth trying to discover the cause, and have to restart the systems and clear out the memories every couple weeks or so.

It scales fine. It's one of the better products out there. There is a limit to the amount of provisions you can keep in users accounts and you need to archive some things, but I haven't reached that limit; at least with our users.

We've opened up a few tickets with technical support and we've used our CA third-party consultants as well. They've been very helpful.

We had an in-house solution that was for a subset of our users. It wasn't robust enough to go scale to the entire corporation, so we went through a selection process to find out who's the best out there at the time. We've had CA Identity Manager for three years now, so it was pretty recent.

I was involved in the initial setup and it wasn't complex. The implementation after setup was difficult. The documentation in that area was lacking, but the implementation was as good as it's going to get.

What other advice do I have?

Definitely understand your access base for your user from the business perspective. If you're made up of different companies, get a clear understanding of how those different companies get access to users, so you can make it easier when the roll out comes out and do role-based implementations.