CA Identity Manager (CA IDM) Review

You can set it up in a PoC very quickly to demonstrate its provisioning capabilities, but it has a lot of room for improvement

What is most valuable?

Ease of use for the configuration of provisioning accounts through an account template concept for an OOTB connector.

It does not requires an extensive programming or development background. The screen of the admin tool creates an account on the system to CA IAM, which provides it to the OOTB connector, then you can simply configure CA IAM to do the provisioning. CA IAM can help with the automation of user provisioning at the same level as the system admin.

When comparing it to other products, you can set up CA IAM in a PoC very quickly to demonstrate its provisioning capabilities.

It fits for organizations having simple, basic provisioning requirements. If your organization has complex provisioning use cases and requirements, then you must have an architect and developer on the team to help bridge the gap that CA IAM cannot provide.

What needs improvement?

The product has a lot of need for improvement. Our issues are being raised back to the vendor as enhancements.

More than five years.

We have encountered issues with stability.

We have encountered issues with scalability.

Our experience with the technical support team is good. CA technical support is very keen to help their customers.

Most issues are solved by the our team, but at least, their team has provided moral support to us.

We did previously use a different solution, and we switched for several reasons.

The initial setup can be both straightforward and complex. This is up to an organization's requirements of the CA Identity Manager solution.

This product is the same as other CA IDM product, which can help improve organizations, similar to the messaging on the product brochure.

In real life, it is up to the skill of the implementation team as to how they can configure the product to serve the business processes of the organization. The reason why some IDM projects have failed comes from implementation. The team must be good at the functional, technical, and designing of business processes. The product could be mediocre, but the implementation team must be top gun. Choose an implementation team wisely, especially when your requirements and processes are complex. A good product under a poor team cannot bring about the result seen on the product brochure.

The connector is free, and bundled with the product.

What other advice do I have?

The product is considered good, in the top five. Looking at the product features carefully if your organization has complex provisioning requirements and business processes to find gaps.

Finally, always search for the best implementation team, who has skills and experience.