Ca2

CA Spectrum Review
The topology view, host configuration, and the NCM are valuable features.

Video Review:

Valuable Features:

A valuable feature is the topology view. You can view the topology. Other valuable features are the host configuration, the NCM feature, the policy manager that it has and the scalability. That's one of the biggest ones.

Improvements to My Organization:

When I started working, we only had 35,000 devices in there. Because of the scalability and all that, we have over 100,000 in Spectrum right now. All of them are SNMP managed.

We have a DR site. We are testing the latest release right now. In our production, we have 9.3.3 and it's running good. With our requirements as they are expanding, for example, one of the issues that we have is the global collection, the real-time global collections. For example, let’s say, just the southwest region has 15,000 devices, and that group wants to have interface global collection; that's going to be over 300,000-400,000 interfaces, and they wanted real-time interfaces. That really bogs down the database, so we are looking at 10.1. In there, the scalability is going to improve a lot with that.

Room for Improvement:

There are certain attributes that we would like to be able to send northbound to different applications or different API calls that we can use. That is one area for improvement.

Also, I would like to see a unified poller, which they have already talked about. If I have Performance Center in Spectrum, I don't need to have separate servers for those same applications. I could have one unified poller, which is getting the traps and also polling information.

Use of Solution:

I have been using it for two years.

Stability Issues:

It is a very stable solution. Once you launch it correctly, you barely have to manage it.

The level-one support is the same as the support you get everywhere with every vendor, but the layer two and above, they are very good.

Previous Solutions:

I am not sure how they knew they needed to invest in a new solution, but when I got in, Spectrum was on the rise of being implemented. Before this, we had NetCool.

When I select a vendor, first, I look at the product; how viable it is. Second, I look at the support that I'm going to get from the vendor. Those are the two major things that I look for.

Initial Setup:

Initial setup complexity depends on how big your environment is. If you're doing a distributed setup, then you need little bit of architecture help on how it's going to be built, but on a scale from one to ten, with one being easy and ten being hard, initial setup is between six and seven.

Other Solutions Considered:

My company, they looked at vendors before Spectrum, but now Spectrum is the primary vendor for fault management.

Other Advice:

My rating reflects its scalability and reliability. There are some minor issues, but that can be resolved.

1 visitor found this review helpful
F3a269d8 fb9a 44b2 95b0 0fe7d2a0300d avatar

0 Comments

Anonymous avatar x30

Have A Question About CA Spectrum?

Our experts can help. 228,876 professionals have used our research on 5,836 solutions.