CA Spectrum Review

What is our primary use case?

The use case for Spectrum is to perform fault management for our managed services infrastructure. We are monitoring around 150,000 endpoints with the tool.

What is most valuable?

The root cause analysis, fault isolation engine, and the overall event management that Spectrum brings you.

How has it helped my organization?

It drives topology based views. It gives us network visualization, and lets us detect faults.

What needs improvement?

Definitely the way this product needs to go is more web-based. They need to put more emphasis in the web technology. There is some there, and it is being developed, but it is not all the way there. There is a Java fat client that they have not moved all the support from the Java client into the web and that is what they need to do.

It is a very stable product. No software probably is without any downtime. There has been downtime here and there, but we have maintained well over 98% uptime with the product, and I have been using it for over 10 years.

Scalability is one of the best factors of the product, because it scales horizontally.

The CA support is pretty good overall. They get behind what your company is trying to do with their tools. Therefore, they try to understand your use cases and just be there as a partner to help you out.

I was involved in the initial setup. It was pretty straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution.

The event management that the tool provides is extremely powerful, but with that comes a bit of complexity. For beginner type users, the event management might be a little overwhelming, but as you work with it over time, you can really see what the solution provides for you. With a little bit of time spent, you can get a lot of value out of the product, but it takes a bit of time and understanding.