CA SSO Review

Any engineer can implement it using the documentation. The Federation feature needs to be improved.

What is most valuable?

There are a few valuable features in this product, such as single sign-on and web access management.

Centralized control to enforce security for the entire enterprise and complete visibility of the policies which we implement for most of the web applications make it more valuable for any enterprise. The ease of implementation is standardized and the availability of documentation on the CA Portal is very informative for any engineer to go ahead and implement it on his own.

From time to time, there are various upgrades available on the CA Portal that make it more compatible for all the different web servers or app servers to get it implemented.

How has it helped my organization?

It improves the working of our organization in the way that it secures most of the web applications or mobile applications. In addition, we don't have to depend on any other application teams to do any custom coding, as such.

What needs improvement?

Some of the features need to be improved. For example, the Federation feature. CA SSO is getting into that space and can definitely do better than the other products that are available.

It doesn't have a lot of features. I think there is some customization that's required on the CA Federation side if it has to get attributes from a different source. If an authentication has to happen in one source and then get attributes from some other source, then there's a requirement to do some custom coding work.

It's very much stable. As long as it works, everyone will be fine, but the minute it breaks, our enterprise will scream.

It's very robust and easy to scale. We were able to scale it within 2 weeks.

In regards to the technical support, the response time is good and they can give more hands-on information to engineers. Most of the time, they point to the available documentation on the CA Portal. But once we engage our point of contact, i.e., the partner contact on ASI, we get more attention from CA experts.

We were not using any other solution. We have been using this product for at least nine years.

I was not involved in the initial setup but we were involved in most of the migrations after the initial setup. The migrations are not very complex; it is moderate and not simple, either.

Engineers need to go through the documentation to fix some of those issues. One of the struggles was to create some of the indexes on their pre-server that we didn't know how to do. At that time, maybe, we were a few of the first customers who were doing this. So, we ran into some issues which were not even known to the CA support team.

What other advice do I have?

It's definitely a good product and you won't go wrong if you choose this product. It's proven and is working fine. We can scale it. The support is also good. It's very stable and I don't think there is any other product which provides this kind of functionality.

The important criteria whilst choosing a vendor were scalability and the enterprise-level features that are compatible to all different versions of app servers and web servers.