CA SSO Review

Really helps with our numerous legacy apps, and is easy to administer

What is our primary use case?

Primary use case is for authentication in Single Sign-On, that's the biggest that we have. But we use it for our internal employees.

It has performed well. We had some hiccups, but that's all.

We had some challenges through modernizing everything over the last two years. Now we are pretty good. We don't see any production challenges. I don't think we have had an incident for a year now.

How has it helped my organization?

I think Single Sign-On helps a lot. If you look at our organization, and really all financial institutions, we have a lot of legacy apps. So it really helps to get Single Sign-On.

What is most valuable?

We use it on the agent model, and we have a lot of capabilities which we leverage to do it on the different apps, so critical apps are protected better. And we do step up using this, but we are looking at other products now to do the advanced track.

We use it mostly out of the box, standard, no customization.

Ease of use is very good, for administrating it. It's very well known. The ease of use is good for our deployment and our applications.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see a move towards the newer technologies, which is what we are doing right now. I think that's in the roadmap that's coming, in the 12.8 and 14 releases, but we would like to have it sooner than later.

I think now, for over a year, we have had any issues. It has been really very stable for us.

We don't have, and have never had, any scalability challenges.

We use it for challenges we have. If there are any issues that apps are reporting, we use tech support.

I think we have been good for over a year. We always get to the same contact that we have in the support. It's not dedicated support that we have bought, but most of the time it goes to the same person. So it's very easy to traverse.

We had a predecessor to it which was near end of life. I knew this product because I was part of CA previously.

We went with CA because it met most of our requirements. We had a requirement list of what we definitely wanted, what was nice to have, and I could see most of what we wanted.

We actually used CA Professional Services. There were some challenges on some aspects of it, but on the base product, not at all.

We looked at a lot of vendors around it. We had looked at RSA, Ping, and a multitude of others, just on paper, so to speak.

What other advice do I have?

Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: We definitely look at our engagement. We look at the support. That's always the critical factor. Otherwise, I would say most of the products, if you go by the 80/20 principle, they will technically fare well.

I would say invest a lot of time in designing it. Don't just run in without reading the guides and start deploying.