Check Point Endpoint Remote Access VPN Review

Simple management, quick search capabilities, and very good stability

What is most valuable?

The differentiator for this solution is the management interface that we find very good and provides a single view for all endpoints. The solution offers SmartLog that allows quick searches. The compliance modules are also very interesting.

What needs improvement?

I cannot see the full effect of the antibot solution because it relies on having access to the DNS queries, which might not go through the Check Point firewall when you're using it for perimeter networks. In this case Check Point will not identify the actual source of the DNS queries associated with antibot activity. This may be related to the customer architecture, however, and not due to product limitation. I don't know if it can be improved on the Check Point side or not.

The solution should allow for the automatic identification of destinations.

We have a URL qualification on the on-premises deployment model; this should also be the case on the cloud. The automatic classification should be done by the cloud team instead of having to specify or subscribe to a RSS for the information, we should be able to have an object that represents such cloud services. It's possible that Check Point already allows for this, but if they don't they should.

We've been using the solution for about 20 years.

The solution is very stable.

The stability depends on the setup. If the solution resides on a specific appliance, it is not scalable. It has a fixed capacity. However, if you move it onto different environments, cloud environments, it will become scalable. Right now, we have about 4,000 users in the current network and about 500 remote access users.

Technical support is reasonable. It depends on the level of support you are willing to pay for, however. You can choose to have a company working for you with intermediate support with Check Point, or you can choose to have direct advanced support.

The initial setup has a moderate amount of complexity. It's acceptable. However, the graphical display of the user chart of network usage, and the ability to zero in on the current graphics could be improved.

What other advice do I have?

We currently only use the on-premises deployment model, although we may extend into the cloud in the future. We're aware of the cloud's capabilities, but we're not using it because we don't have a large infrastructure expression there.

In terms of advice, I'd suggest that others implementing the solution make sure training happens on their teams. Most products can have lots of features, but if you do not have proper knowledge, you will not be able to make use of those features.

I'm very satisfied with this solution; I'd rate it eight out of ten.