Cisco Email Security Review

Blocks bulk marketing messages and spam

What is our primary use case?

We use it for email filtering, spam filtering, for phishing attacks, malware, and forged-email detection. We also use it for outbound message control, to filter attachments that are allowed to be sent and attachments that are not allowed to be sent. It's for data loss protection.

How has it helped my organization?

It saves a lot of time wasting. For example, phishing attacks distract a user's attention, and forged emails waste a lot of time. A user can lose data. This solution helps protect user data.

What is most valuable?

It blocks

• bulk marketing messages
  • graymail
  • spam

and provides advanced malware protection.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see sandboxing for email, where suspicious emails received by the system are analyzed through online services. Some vendors, like Fortinet, have this feature in their firewalls, the FortiSandbox.

It's a very stable product. We hardly have any issues. Issues are mostly around license activation and the like. It's a reliable product and very popular here in the Middle East.

It's scalable. A medium-sized business would go with a C370 while a small business would use a C190. We are able to migrate users from lower-level to higher-level products. Scalability is not a big issue for this product. The same configuration can run 500 users and 3,000 users.

The few times we have contacted technical support we have received very good performance from them. This is one of the strong points. They have very good technical support. They provide timely responses. Technical support is very good from Cisco for every product.

The setup is very straightforward. It's very simple to install. It hardly takes 30 minutes.

There is a strategy for deploying, like determining how many users' emails do you want to pass through it. There is a long document, we call it High-level/Low-level deployment. And after that we, pass emails through from the Exchange Server, incoming and outgoing, to configure the kinds of emails the product should filter.

A deployment requires a maximum of two people: One is a network engineer and one is an Exchange system administrator, so if he wants to he can configure rules according to his requirements.

Pricing depends on your environment and which model you want to buy.

What other advice do I have?

You need redundancy. If you have a standalone setup there is a risk of failure. If that goes down you lose email communication.

We have deployed this product for multiple customers in the Middle East, in the UAE, particularly in Dubai. We have many customers using this product, mostly medium-sized enterprises.