Cisco Nexus Review

An easy to manage solution that will make up part of our 10-gigabit network

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution as the fabric switches for our VMware environment.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution has allowed us to better prepare our network for 10-gigabit. Currently, we're a 1-gigabit network, but we have started expanding.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are that it is easy to manage and it is pretty stable.

What needs improvement?

My only complaint is that not all of the ports on it are enabled from the start. We pay for twenty-six ports, and we would have to license the other ports if we want to use them. This can get expensive as you expand more.

This is a stable solution and we haven't had any issues with it. The only time that we've ever rebooted is if we had to upgrade the firmware.

We have not had any issues in terms of scalability. If we want to expand then we just have to pay to have additional ports enabled.

Cisco has always been good for technical support. We put in a ticket and they call back. It's always been pretty straightforward.

We did not use a 10-gigabit solution prior to this. The purchase of this solution was driven by the fact that we needed 10-gigabit ports, and they go to all of our devices.

The initial setup was pretty straightforward. They had a couple of issues setting up the ports on the switches, but other than that it was pretty good.

We used a reseller, IP Pathways, to assist with the deployment. They were ok, but some of the solutions they have implemented for us were not done in the best way.

Our licensing fees are approximately $2,000 USD per year.

We only use a couple of different vendors, and Cisco was our only option for this type of solution.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anybody who is implementing this solution is to make sure that they have a vendor that knows how to set it up from the start.

This solution is easy to set up and we haven't had very many problems with it.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.