Cisco Nexus Overview

Cisco Nexus is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Data Center Networking tools. It is most often compared to Cisco Catalyst Switches: Cisco Nexus vs Cisco Catalyst Switches

What is Cisco Nexus?
The Cisco Nexus family of switches is designed to meet the stringent requirements of the next-generation data center. Not simply bigger or faster, these switches offer the following characteristics: infrastructure that can be scaled cost-effectively and that helps you increase energy, budget, and resource efficiency, transport that can navigate the transition to 10 Gigabit Ethernet and unified fabric and can also handle architectural changes such as virtualization, Web 2.0 applications, and cloud computing and operational continuity to meet your need for an environment where system availability is assumed and maintenance windows are rare if not totally extinct.
Cisco Nexus Buyer's Guide

Download the Cisco Nexus Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2021

Cisco Nexus Customers
Advanced Medical Transport, Banco de Guayaquil, Baylor Scott & White Health, BH Telecom, Bowling Green State University, Calligaris, Children's Hospital Colorado, City of Biel, Del Papa Distributing, Department of Justice, Dimension Data, Dualtec Cloud Builders, Electricity Authority of Cyprus, Grupo Industrial Saltillo (GIS), Hertz, K&L Gates , LightEdge, Lone Star College System, Management Science Associates, Mindtree, NBC Olympics, Quest, Sony Corporation, The Department of Education in Western Australia, Valley Proteins
Cisco Nexus Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Cisco Nexus pricing:
  • "Cisco's licensing structures can be complex across different technologies, for example, unified communications."
  • "We have three hundred to four hundred data centers of Nexus. So the coverage associated with Smart Net is 27 by 4, is basically what we spend each year. If the incentives get better, which I know they're working on, it would be great but right now we're buying year to year."
  • "Every Cisco product is more expensive than competitors on the market, which is just a fact, but from my perspective, it is worth it."
  • "We have a three-year subscription for our licensing fees."
  • "All of our costs including subscription, licensing, and support services are bundled together, and the cost is approximately $100,000 USD per year."

Cisco Nexus Reviews

PreSales7bd0
Pre-Sales Engineer at a tech services company with 5,001-10,000 employees
MSP
Jun 28, 2019
A high-performance switch that is designed for lossless data and our customers are happy with

What is our primary use case?

We have a lot of customers that we implement Nexus platforms for.

• "They are very high-performance switches and they are made for lossless data, so they're a good play in the customer environment."
  • "There is no feature parity between the 9K and the 5K or 7K, which means that it is harder to position the 9K to future proof them."

What other advice do I have?

I'm a pre-sales engineer, and I help customers blueprint out and design their future data center. We really like this solution. It's a great switch. If there is a data center switch we try to lead with, it's the 9K. I like the Cisco ACI solution in general, that the Nexus 9K is a foundation of. I would certainly recommend it. If a competitor like VM or NSX tries to position their solution and they try to say, "You don't really have to replace the network or re-design the network", that's not really true because the overlay is only going to be as performant as the underlay. If they deploy that…
reviewer1122879
IT Manager Network at a transportation company with 10,001+ employees
Jul 9, 2019
The rack-based design enabled us to eliminate the more complicated to manage chassis-based designs

What is our primary use case?

The pros of the Cisco Nexus are the simplified integration with the data center and the end platform before building a data center. Our primary use case of this solution is for the data centers.

• "This product has improved the way our organization functions in the way that the rack-based design allowed us to eliminate chassis-based designs. The chassis design is more complicated to manage and maintain in field operations."
  • "I would like to see the integration of the products into something where it's seamless where an engineer never touches the switch again, never does CLI and you move to an application based network organization."

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten, I would rate this product an eight for the way I work with my team. They select the product, I serve them. I rate it from a perspective of what the quality of life my team has from using this product. How simple, risk-free, and smooth can we do this without putting the data centers in jeopardy. Make sure you do your comparisons and make the right decision with the right product before you decide. I would recommend taking a good hard look at Cisco and the Nexus product line and what it could do for you.
Learn what your peers think about Cisco Nexus. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2021.
455,164 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Per Hougaard
Network Architect at Nvent
Jun 26, 2019
Provides rock solid stability and troubleshooting capabilities for our data center

What is our primary use case?

This solution is used as the core and access switches in our largest data center. We have several of them that make up our 40-gigabit uplink.

• "It gives me an unparalleled ability to build out my environment differently than I would have if I was going with another vendor."
  • "I would like to see Duo directly integrated with the Nexus hardware, instead of it being through the proxies, like how Duo works today."

What other advice do I have?

This solution is ACI compatible, but we did not have time to get them on ACI before we went live. As a result, they will not make it to ACI. There is always room for improvement, but I really love this solution. These devices do not give me any headaches. I design enough solutions for our company where, if they give me headaches, they come back out. It's that simple. I don't have time to keep going back and cleaning up the solutions that I've already installed. If you want something that that is rock solid and you don't have to worry about, then go buy yourself some Nexus 9Ks. It's that…
NetworkE9b11
Network Engineer at a government with 11-50 employees
Jul 1, 2019
Offers flexibility, scalability and endless possibilities to meet future needs

What is our primary use case?

We use the 9000s in a series of different things in both the data center and even in the LAN (Local Area Network). Mainly we just use the products for the management of all the traffic — nothing really crazy. Being in the government, we can't use ACI (Application Centric Infrastructure) and certain other technologies yet. The 9000s are deployed for high-end layer two and layer three switching capabilities.

• "Current flexibility and the opportunities for future planning and scaling make this product line an ultimate opportunity."
  • "Multi contexts would be nice to have to separate different tenants logically and securely."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate the Cisco solutions as a nine out of ten because nothing is a ten. Everything can improve. It's a top-notch product and it has not done anything short of everything we wanted it to do. As far as advice, I would definitely say to try to look five years ahead, instead of just one or two. In our case, unique things about the nine K's are that they can run in iOS or ACI mode and that works with our planning. It was very favorable that we could maintain our current style of infrastructure that is not as automated. But then, through a transition plan, we won't need to buy new hardware…
SeniorNe0813
Senior Network Design Engineer at Kent State University
Jul 9, 2019
Significantly increased our throughput and added redundancy to our data center

What is our primary use case?

This solution is used in our data center. It is our layer-two switches that connect all of our servers to the data center firewall. Our data center is a little bit different than most in that we're only layer-two in the data center.

• "We leverage Cisco DCNM a lot, which allows us to automate."
  • "Our only complaint is about the licensing because it can always be a little more cost-effective."

What other advice do I have?

This product has absolutely surpassed our expectation of throughput. The network team used to be blamed for slowness in the data center, but now we can confidently say that it has nothing to do with us. We're providing the organization with eighty-gigs of throughput in all directions to the firewalls. Troubleshooting poorly-performing applications is easier now because we can say that the bottleneck is not in the data center. We could be doing much more with our Nexus 9K switches, but they are not doing as much as they are capable of because we only have layer-two in our data center. This is…
NetworkE2c48
Network Engineer at a transportation company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Jun 27, 2019
Offers redundancy options and diverse paths that large campuses require

What is our primary use case?

Mostly what we use Cisco Nexus for is in our access layer and distribution networks on our campus.

• "The most valuable feature of this solution is stability. We have a pretty large campus."
  • "With some of the products we had before, we had a little more downtime than we would like."

What other advice do I have?

I would say take advantage of the resources that Cisco has in regards to some of the marketing and sales reps. They can provide you at least a guide on the options. Sometimes you get locked in on a particular product, even though it's still biased. Within the company, opportunities exist to talk about other options. A lot of times Cisco will bring a technical engineer, it's not just a sales rep trying to sell something. They'll bring their technical representatives that understand the environment and consider other options within the brand. On a scale of one to ten, I would rate Cisco Nexus at…
LeaderOf432e
Leader of Network Engineering at MVP Health Care
Jun 26, 2019
Provides us with more business continuity and high availability

What is our primary use case?

We are using this solution in the redesign of our data center network. Specifically, to provide an aggregation point for our data center services.

• "The biggest benefit to this solution is a high port density with high bandwidth."
  • "There are limitations on some of the lower level 9K solutions where you can't do the same things that you would normally be able to do, like for instance the number of static maps that you can configure on it."

What other advice do I have?

We are using this solution in a very specific use case right now. I do see more flexibility and availability, but for us, a pretty small network, I haven't really unlocked a lot of the features. My advice to anybody looking to implement this solution is to take your time in finding the right design. I have worked with Cisco for a long time, and I've worked with other manufacturers like HP, Dell, and Arista. I think that Cisco is definitely the leader in the market, but I do think that if you rush through the design process then you might find yourself making decisions prematurely. This is a…
Andy Deshmukh
Network Engineer at a university with 10,001+ employees
Jul 7, 2019
Helpful and powerful integration with virtual switches, but the interface should be more user-friendly

What is our primary use case?

This solution is the backbone of our data center. We have multiple tenants built on it, in a network-centric design. We have our Dev QA tenant, user acceptance tenant, production tenant, our DMZ, and then our user edge where everything comes in and goes out. We have firewalls in between all of the tenants, and we use ACI to microsegment between the networks, within the tenants. All of the intra-tenant traffic goes through the firewalls.

• "The ability to tenant-out the traffic and segment it, without having to get into separate physical hardware or trying to figure out VDCs manually, has been really powerful and extremely useful for us."
  • "It would be great if they could make the interface a little more user-friendly, but not trade power off for simplicity."

What other advice do I have?

There are still a lot of things that we have yet to do with this system, in particular with the APIs and scripting. Also, there are a lot of additional features that we haven't had a chance to look at yet because we haven't upgraded. Not a lot of people in my area are familiar with this solution. It is kind of new and scary, so a lot of people are a little wary of it. However, now that I've had some time with it, I find it very powerful. Having direct access to virtual switches is a huge advantage. My advice to anybody researching this solution is to take a good look at it because it is great…
See 65 more Cisco Nexus Reviews
Download our free Cisco Nexus Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.