Cisco Nexus Review

Helped us unify communications and bring voice service to our satellite offices and stores

What is our primary use case?

The entirety of our network infrastructure is Cisco-based, and our voice infrastructure comes across that as well. I handle the Unified Communications.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution has drastically improved our organization.

Prior to implementing this solution, our corporate campus was the only place that we had Voice service in our network. Over the past two years, we have brought Cisco Voice to every single one of our offices and stores, nationwide. Essentially, we have unified all of those communication links between stores and our corporate office to support those stores.

For the stores, it has made life simpler for them. They need only press a button to speed dial into a support desk, where before they were totally dependent on an outside POTS line that may not have been available when they needed it. We've also reduced their costs, in that rather than every single satellite office dialing long distance numbers to reach the corporate office for support, the calls now come right across the LANs.

In terms of mitigating incidents, this solution has reduced incidents of lost time by approximately thirty percent.

This solution has saved us both time and money because we now have the ability to control all of these telephony devices that are deployed nationwide. It is simple for us to make changes remotely, rather than having to deploy somebody to go and make the changes. The time that we spent helping people who are in remote sites is minimal now compared to before, so it is definitely an improvement.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the flexibility that we have had, working with our network team to get voice implemented.

What needs improvement?

There is always room for improvement.

This solution is absolutely stable. Our uptime is wonderful. It is so much that I actually enjoy not being called after hours.

Technical support for this solution has been absolutely wonderful.

We did not have a voice network infrastructure in our stores and we wanted to support it. However, our existing equipment was antiquated and it had to be upgraded. We were still using Cisco equipment, but it was dated and did not have support for voice and the other things that are required today.

The initial setup was pretty straightforward. The implementors that we would source to assist us knew exactly what they were doing. They were not stalled with questions, so it just worked.

We used an integrator to handle part of our implementation, and their service was really good.

What other advice do I have?

Cisco is not stopping in terms of adding support for new features. They are continuing to innovate their product and make it better for everybody.

This is a solution that has made my life much simpler. I can relax in the evening knowing that the solution is stable.

In fact, the biggest lesson that I have learned from using this solution is that we waited too long to deploy it in our stores. For a long time, the stores struggled every day, and it's a good thing that we've got a management team who realized that. They wanted to make things better for the employees that are working in our offices, the customer-facing people. I only wish that we had done it sooner.

My advice for anybody looking to implement a similar solution is to go with Cisco.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.