Cisco Nexus Review

Provides SDN for our access layer, but there are lots of bugs that need to be fixed

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for the access layer of our network.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution is helping us in terms of providing SDN, software-defined networking.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the access layer security, OpenConfig, and OpenFlow.

What needs improvement?

We would like to see OpenConfig covering most of the industry standards. The YANG models, for example, and also support for OpenFlow.

The areas that need improvement are MACsec, OpenConfig, and OpenFlow.

Stability is not really up to the mark. There are a lot of bugs in MACsec and OpenFlow.

Scalability is good enough for now, and not really an issue for us.

I have not spoken with technical support.

We did use another solution prior to this one. We have had a lot of different switches.

The initial setup of this solution is straightforward. For the configuration, we used zero-touch provisioning, so it was straightforward.

We had assistance with the deployment of the solution.

We are multi-vendor, so whoever gives us the best product is the one we purchase from.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is implementing this solution is to start their testing early, as the features need time to run.

This solution needs a lot more improvement, such as the bugs that need to be fixed.

I would rate this solution a six out of ten.