Cisco Nexus Review

Enables us to reduce downtime and offers default vPC functionality

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for the Cisco Nexus solution is for our data center switches. It's our core switch that we use everywhere.

How has it helped my organization?

This product has improved the way our organization functions through the ability to do tasks in a maintenance window while allowing other teams to continue to work.

There have been a couple of cases where we needed to do emergency support outside of a maintenance window. We were able to make the case that there should be no impact. Luckily, there was no impact.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of the Cisco Nexus solution is the default vPC functionality. We can do maintenance with it. We can do core channeling up to the switches and we can manage them as opposed to working on a stack. We don't have to bring the whole thing down and back up. We can reduce downtime.

What needs improvement?

Cisco Nexus still needs more stability. Not that they're unstable. FlexPod in particular. My team doesn't work with that but it's owned by the server infrastructure team. It's in the UTS. They're pretty stable but every once in a while, it's not.

It is mostly stable. There have been some times where wacky things will happen, like buggy code. There's a bug in the code where you can't save the configuration. We've had to reboot both devices, and then it fixes itself. There's no known fix. Cisco says that it has been fixed years ago, but it's still not working. There have been weird things like that.

Cisco Nexus is very scalable.

Tech support is very good with Cisco. Support for this unit is no better or worse than anything else with Cisco, but still good.

The initial setup of the Cisco Nexus platform is straightforward. It's complex, but it's not more complex than anything else.

From an engineering perspective, the pros outweigh the cons in terms of price.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale of one to ten, I would rate Cisco Nexus an eight. They're not perfect, but they mostly do what they need to do. I don't feel negative about them at all.

9K
More Cisco Nexus reviews from users
...who compared it with Juniper QFabric
Learn what your peers think about Cisco Nexus. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2021.
455,108 professionals have used our research since 2012.