Cisco UCS B-Series Review

The ability to scale to multiple blades is a valuable feature, but the management console needs to be moved away from Java.

What is most valuable?

The ability to scale to multiple blades and multiple blade chassis quickly and easily.

How has it helped my organization?

Customers see benefits in the reduced time to deploy virtual servers. The ability to scale out quickly is an example of that.

What needs improvement?

The management interface in the current version is Java based. I would like to see a move away from Java based management consoles, which I think Cisco has already road-mapped for the UCS product range.

We completed a deployment of this solution in February 2015.

No, the product has been stable.

It is designed to address scalability.

Cisco technical support is always available 24x7. I rate Cisco technical support 10/10.

We specifically implemented UCS to cater specifically for a customer’s Cisco Unified Communication products, which were all running on Cisco Media Convergence Servers (MCS). The Cisco MCS platform is now End-of-Life, so UCS was the life cycle replacement option. The MCS platform also had limitations with virtualisation which the UCS product suite overcomes. More recently, the customer’s platform services team have recently purchased another Cisco 5108 blade server chassis and more UCS-B blade servers to replace their HP blade server solution.

Cisco publishes deployment guides which are straightforward to follow. The guides assume some knowledge of LAN, SAN and server administration and deployment.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Our company is the customer’s preferred Cisco vendor/partner.