Cisco UCS Manager Review

Stable and scalable but extremely complex

What is our primary use case?

The solution is primarily used to manage user infrastructure.

What is most valuable?

It's difficult to pinpoint the exact features which are the most valuable to our organization.

What needs improvement?

The interface and the way it is constructed is very complex. They should work to simplify it. It's quite difficult for somebody who doesn't know the product very well. Users should be able to get proficient with it faster. There's definitely room for improvement there.

I've been using the solution for about six or seven years.

The solution offers quite good stability. We haven't had a problem at all with it. It's quite good.

We don't have too much equipment, so we haven't tried to scale it too much ourselves. However, the solution is actually quite scalable if a company needs to.

We have about six people using the solution in our company.

I'm not a system administrator, so I don't know if we plan to increase the usage. I personally don't intend to.

Technical support has been good so far. We haven't had any issues with them. We're satisfied with the level of service they provide our company.

We previously used different products. We had an IBM blade server but integrated the management, so it was a very different scenario to what we have now. The previous solution no longer exists, so we had no choice but to switch solutions and we chose Cisco.

The initial installation itself is not very complicated. However, the configuration of the solution can be quite complex.

Deployment times vary. It can be anywhere from a few hours to several weeks. It depends on the company and what needs to happen with the configuration. In our case, it took about a week to deploy it.

Currently, we're mostly paying for maintenance. As for the cost of the solution itself, I'm not sure what it is.

We were evaluating both Cisco and HP and eventually ended up choosing Cisco.

What other advice do I have?

We're not partners with Cisco. I'm a user of the solution and also a consultant.

We're currently using the latest version of the solution. I'm not sure of the exact version number, but it was updated recently.

I don't have specific advice to others considering implementing the product. I'd just say that it's important that they know the product before implementing it.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten. You can do pretty much anything you need to on the product, but it's quite complex. If they were able to simplify both the configuration and the user interface, I'd probably give them full marks.

More Cisco UCS Manager reviews from users
...who work at a Comms Service Provider
...who compared it with Nutanix Prism
Learn what your peers think about Cisco UCS Manager. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2021.
509,820 professionals have used our research since 2012.