Cisco UCS Manager Overview

Cisco UCS Manager is the #12 ranked solution in our list of Infrastructure Monitoring tools. It is most often compared to Cisco Intersight: Cisco UCS Manager vs Cisco Intersight

What is Cisco UCS Manager?
Cisco UCS Manager helps significantly reduce management and administration expenses by automating routine tasks to increase operational agility. Customers can extend the benefits of Cisco UCS Manager globally across an enterprise to thousands of servers in multiple domains with Cisco UCS Central Software.
Cisco UCS Manager Buyer's Guide

Download the Cisco UCS Manager Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2021

Cisco UCS Manager Customers
Management Science Associates, Peak 10, Virtual Consulting Professionals
Cisco UCS Manager Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Cisco UCS Manager pricing:
  • "With product discounts which can be negotiated, the product is a great value."

Cisco UCS Manager Reviews

reviewer1219551
Infrastructure Architect at a transportation company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Jan 19, 2020
Easy to manage and has high availability

What is our primary use case?

Our use case, from our point of view, is that we installed this product in data centers for our customers. I work with six customers currently, and I have to set up the data centers for each of them. For one of them, we run the Cisco UCS Manager. So I have hands-on experience with the setup from end-to-end. Usually, we are called by clients specifically about product suggestions. I often personally recommend Cisco UCS because of the high availability. The setup time is quick compared to other products in this category. When we are contracted we have to set up the network, the storage, and… more »

• "Ease of management is certainly the most valuable feature in this product."
  • "Upgrading the firmware is a difficult procedure."

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate this solution as an eight out of ten. I use the UCS Manager and I think it is a good solution.
Ahmed-Omar
Senior System Administrator at Royalcement
Oct 10, 2019
Helps us manage our infrastructure and reduce time and effort but upgrades should be made easier

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for this solution is to help us manage our infrastructure and reduce time and effort for these tasks.

• "The hardware is very powerful and it is a stable solution."
  • "The installation and upgrade sytems need to be improved."
Learn what your peers think about Cisco UCS Manager. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2021.
456,495 professionals have used our research since 2012.
reviewer1265403
IT Infrastructure Architect at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Feb 4, 2020
Stable and scalable but extremely complex

What is our primary use case?

The solution is primarily used to manage user infrastructure.

• "Technical support has been good so far. We haven't had any issues with them. We're satisfied with the level of service they provide our company."
  • "The interface and the way it is constructed is very complex. They should work to simplify it. It's quite difficult for somebody who doesn't know the product very well. Users should be able to get proficient with it faster. There's definitely room for improvement there."

What other advice do I have?

We're not partners with Cisco. I'm a user of the solution and also a consultant. We're currently using the latest version of the solution. I'm not sure of the exact version number, but it was updated recently. I don't have specific advice to others considering implementing the product. I'd just say that it's important that they know the product before implementing it. I'd rate the solution seven out of ten. You can do pretty much anything you need to on the product, but it's quite complex. If they were able to simplify both the configuration and the user interface, I'd probably give them full…
Pnj3428
Systems Engineer at a hospitality company with 10,001+ employees
Feb 6, 2020
Easy to manage and simple but has limited scalability options

What is our primary use case?

Cisco UCS Manager helps us manage all the blades so we can apply quality to templates. Recently, we have installed VMware vCenter from where we manage it. Cisco UCS Manager gives us control of all the blades with a maximum of 160 blades in a single UCS Manager. From there we can manage all the hardware related issues, like upgrades.

• "Cisco UCS Manager is overall a good package because it gives a GUI interface and a CLI."
  • "Cisco UCS Manager is not a scalable solution because once you have 160 blades, it cannot be expanded more."

What other advice do I have?

Now people have many more options. If you're talking about HCI, Cisco has it. They have their own product called Cisco HyperFlex. Though if you are looking for a single short solution then you probably will not find it here. On a scale from one to 10, I would rate Cisco UCS Manager a seven.
reviewer951996
Network and Security Manager at a energy/utilities company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Oct 21, 2019
Good infrastructure management with valuable conferencing features

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to manage our infrastructure.

• "Cisco Infrastructure is one of the top vendors and no one can beat them in terms of switching and routing."
  • "In the next release, I would like to see improvements made to their security."

What other advice do I have?

Cisco Infrastructure is one of the top vendors and no one can beat them in terms of switching and routing. They have a new solution called Cisco DNA where they have improved the security, OT environment, and IoT. It is a good solution for WAN technology. Cisco is on top of the infrastructure. Cisco Wise Mail IT is now called Unified Messaging. The unity was the first introduction to Cisco for voice mail integrated with cross messaging and now they have a full collaboration solution in one box. Cisco Tetration Technology has recently been introduced, but it has not yet matured in the market. We…
Erhan-Demirhan
Senior System Engineer at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Dec 31, 2019
Flexible, easy to manage, and scalable with a quick, focused technical support

What is our primary use case?

We are using this infrastructure for the virtualization usage for our ESX servers.

• "The most valuable features are flexibility and management."
  • "We have three data centers and if we could manage all three data centers using one interface, it would be great."

What other advice do I have?

I am very happy with Cisco UCS. If I had to choose between other submissions, I would choose the Cisco UCS every time. It's a wonderful product. I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.
Elvis Maunye
System Specialist at MTN
Sep 19, 2019
A solution that offers lots of functionality, while being stable and highly scalable

What is our primary use case?

We primarily usually use UCS Manager where we've installed from the ESXI Host and are hosting multiple UCM's.

• "The solution is highly scalable, mainly because of the templates that make it easy for you to actually edit on the system."
  • "I found it a bit of a challenge to get training on UCSM. I've been trying to get that for some time now. I feel like I have to figure it out a lot of things myself. For years I've to log calls with support whenever I've got challenges that I cannot resolve. If I had some training or more manuals, I'd be better able to handle more things on my own."

What other advice do I have?

We're using the on-premises deployment model. It's a good solution, as long as you can maneuver admin paths and are competent in running the day to day support tasks. The solution is a bit complicated and complex, but the trade-off is you have a lot of functionality. I would rate the solution eight out of ten.
reviewer1050633
IT Infrastructure Engineer with 51-200 employees
Feb 13, 2020
Flexible and easy to expand features with good stability

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for software computing within our organization.

• "The flexibility and the ease in which the features can be expanded are the solution's most valuable aspects."
  • "The automation within the solution needs to be simplified."

What other advice do I have?

In terms of advice of how other users can implement the solution, I'd caution that it depends on what they like to use. If you need to have server usage, for example, for Oracle, for Microsoft Hyper V, VMware, or different solutions, then it's not the best. For us, the complexity was too high especially when it comes to expanding it for other purposes. I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.
See 2 more Cisco UCS Manager Reviews
Download our free Cisco UCS Manager Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.