Commvault Review

Easy to deploy and maintain, stable, and delivers as promised

What is our primary use case?

I used it during a POC, and now, it is in production. We opted to go for the N minus one release and not the latest one.

We use it for the backup of servers. It is also used when users need to take a backup of their laptops or mail archiving.

What is most valuable?

It is easy to use and stable. It delivers what has been promised. When it says it can do something, it can actually do it, as opposed to some of its competitors.

What needs improvement?

Its dashboard could be improved to provide a summarized version of all the jobs instead of having to go through each one of them. We should easily be able to glance at all issues. If I had not gone with the on-premise version, I would have had regular reports with the cloud version.

It would be an advantage if they increase the compression rate of the backup. I am keeping it on-prem, so I'll need more disks depending on the policies that I have in the retention period.

Its price could also be lower. If a good solution can be cheaper, it is always an advantage.

I used this solution for six months.

It is stable. I haven't experienced any issues.

It is scalable. We have approximately 30 users, but we are also backing up the servers that everyone uses.

I have had one call with their technical support, and they were of great assistance. They were really approachable, and they were able to answer the questions.

We have been using NetBackup and Veeam. As compared to NetBackup, Commvault is an improvement. NetBackup licenses are expensive as compared to Commvault.

It was pretty straightforward. It took one day to do the installation and put all policies. It was really quick. I did the installation, deployed the agents, and started using it for testing. After successful tests, we decided to go with the solution.

I was accompanied by our business partner, but its implementation was pretty straightforward.

Its maintenance is really easy to do because you have everything in the console. It can be managed by one technical person. It doesn't require much. Because it is stable, there is not much to be done. You just need to enter the jobs that have been run and completed successfully. Every now and then, you might also do a restore.

It is cheaper than NetBackup, but its price can be lower. If a good solution can be cheaper, it is always an advantage. Its licensing is on a yearly basis.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend this solution to others. We plan to keep using this solution.

I would rate Commvault a nine out of ten.

More Commvault reviews from users
...who work at a Government
...who compared it with Veeam Backup & Replication
Learn what your peers think about Commvault. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
523,975 professionals have used our research since 2012.