Darktrace Review

Has the ability to see events and have access to exactly what traffic or website a device had tried connecting to

What is our primary use case?

I'm a customer data security manager and we are looking at replacing our current solution, McAfee, with something like Darktrace or CrowdStrike which will provide the same visibility with the endpoint protection aspect.

What is most valuable?

The Ability to drill right down into an event that has been identified as something of interest so that you can be assured if it is a valid event and therefore not suffer from loads of false positives. Once that initial assurance and confidence was there, you could easily rely on the dashboard and minimise the risk of constantly drilling into each and every event but pick the ones with most risk.

What needs improvement?

The product is automated to a certain degree, but I think this could be improved. I'm looking for a way of being able to react to threats that are detected based on risk. Aside from that, there is nothing really that they could improve on, it's a product more suited to organizations with an SOC, security operations center, or a company with an IT team of network security members because it relies on constantly monitoring it to see information based on the risks of events.

In our case, we have a small IT team, which means that a large amount of time would have been spent drilling into it. If something did happen on the network, we'd ideally be responding to it reactively instead of proactively. Some of the other products we tested did that so that if something was detected, it would block that device by means of an endpoint, which halts the process and gives you time to check it out. Darktrace would tell you, for example, if there was a ransomware attack, but it wouldn't stop the attack. Other products would identify it as a ransomware attack and stop the network card on the endpoint, giving time to react to the alert, and proceed to cleanse or investigate the machine that's had a problem. That was our issue with Darktrace.

The only reason that it looks like we are going down a different route is because of the endpoint protection issue. The product doesn't have an endpoint agent that can react to outcomes or triggers that are set on the device, otherwise, it would be great.

We tested the solution for one month.

Stability is fine, we had no issues with it whatsoever.

We didn't need to scale the solution, but you could scale it without any issue. The only thing that I think you had to keep an eye on was network traffic through your switches because effectively, you're capturing all the traffic on your network on a port that goes to this device.

The support was fantastic, really good. We were in touch with the guy who I believe was the accounts manager.

Initial setup was easy. We just had to configure a switch port into what's called promiscuous mode and then plug in the device and give it an IP address and leave it. We deployed with our own technical team. It took a day to setup, maybe even less than that. Once installed they activated the license on it. We left it at baseline to look at the network for a week. It just looked at existing traffic and worked out what was typical traffic and what was interesting traffic.

For out of the box it is licensed per device or node that it connects to. I think for services there were some additional licensing fees.

We evaluated other options and Darktrace had really good dashboards and graphics, but other devices like CrowdStrike, for example, had the endpoint protection we're looking for as well as the features that Darktrace has. The difference is in functionality.

What other advice do I have?

I would suggest to anyone considering this option to identify if this is going to be a monitoring tool to supplement an existing system or if this is going to be another product in your existing security suite of tools.

I would rate this product an eight out of 10.

More Darktrace reviews from users
...who compared it with Vectra AI
Learn what your peers think about Darktrace. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
534,057 professionals have used our research since 2012.