Dell EMC Data Protection Advisor Review

Enables you to make informed decisions faster with increased efficiency

What is our primary use case?

Our use is limited to backup and recovery.

What is most valuable?

It has a lot of stock reports. I believe over 300 canned reports, which for the most part meet a lot of generic needs. As far as creating customer ports this solution has definitely evolved and become more of a construct to where you can build reports as long as you know your data sets and really customize them for your customer's environment.

In the same hindrance — this is a plus and a minus —, because Data Protection Advisor is a multi-platform, multi-vendor product, if you look for something that you know is called X in one product, it may not be called X in DPA. Column for column, that creates a mapping challenge. An example would be policy. In policy, it's called "group" in DPA.

What needs improvement?

There's always room for improvement. EMC, Dell as of late has dragged behind in their Java protocol, keeping up with Java and security vulnerabilities. They should empower their customers with the ability to upgrade this solution as long as it's in the same major release or in another way that allows those security vulnerabilities to be addressed quicker.

I'd like to see better hooks into other analytic applications, like Splunk. That's really a partnership relationship versus EMC Dell control.

I have been using Dell EMC Data Protection Advisor for almost a decade.

For the most part, it serves my needs. There hasn't really been a report that I can't create as long as the data is collected for the backup product. Regarding general ability, it's fairly light on the agent side for the clients.

Throughout the years they've been very, very good. In the early days, I ran into some SQL corruption back in the 5X. When they went to 6X, they redid their database; there was definitely a performance change and some different nuances. They did pretty well over the duration.

The initial setup all depends on what your requirements are for deployment. In a simple lab, it's very easy to deploy. If you're setting up a two-data store and application server, there is a little more to it because you've got to deal with that secondary data store, but also if you're dealing with it in a cluster, there's another level of complexity. It's all dependent on how you're deploying it.

As an engineer architect, ROI is not really my area of focus. Does it provide from a technical perspective, what I need? Yes, to do my job.

What other advice do I have?

Know your client and understand their policies. Licensing is a big one, which a lot of people get messed over.

overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of nine.

More Dell EMC Data Protection Advisor reviews from users
...who compared it with Microsoft DPM
Find out what your peers are saying about Dell EMC, Veeam Software, Commvault and others in Backup and Recovery Software. Updated: May 2021.
509,641 professionals have used our research since 2012.