Denodo Review

Good virtualization and data catalog features with strong technical support

What is our primary use case?

We use an entirely on-premises deployment model. Our primary use case of this solution is for the virtualization or unification of a data interface that produces national statistics.

What is most valuable?

It is a go-to tool for data virtualization. The virtualization and data catalog are the features of why we chose Denodo.

What needs improvement?

The data catalog certainly has room for improvement. It is functional but we look forward to development. We are in constant contact with Denodo and they are fully aware of our needs.

I'd like to see an improvement to data catalog functionality which would immensely increase the value of this product.

In our organization, when we have to analyze a lot of data, the possibility to represent the very meaning of data to the analysts, which is actually the functionality of data catalog, is very important. Denodo is very good at creating unified access to data. It's not that good yet, in the integration of the semantics of the data, in determining what the data means. In a statistics organization, the integration with a metadata system is extremely important. That's the reason why we have found a way to integrate our metadata system with Denodo data catalog. It's easy to imagine much more functionality and we know that Denodo is fully aware of that. Denodo is improving its data catalog functionality as a result. It's not to say that we are not satisfied with the existing one but we'd like to see improvements.

It is absolutely stable.

It is scalable but not for all the purposes. Denodo still has some more performance improvements that we do not use as we don't need them but otherwise, Denodo is scalable.

We do have intentions to increase users.

We have a contract with their support. We are in constant contact with them as we handled the implementation by ourselves and so, we had a lot of questions which all got answered. Tech support is certainly one of their strong points.

One thing which is very important along with it is that, if needed, the end customers, like us, have access to the very developers. It means that our support requests are not only handled by some anonymous tech support representative but, if we find some bug, we are able to contact the very high-level developers to get our requests handled.

We didn't have any other data virtualization tools available. Denodo was one of our first options when we were evaluating solutions and luckily we were able to close a deal at a reasonable price level.

The initial setup has two parts. The technical setup is very easy and the functional setup needs a lot of work, but this cannot be avoided because of the very nature of data virtualization. You have to technically describe all of your data sources, how to access them, where they are situated and so on. The amount of work is substantial, not overwhelming but substantial. Denodo has made it as simple as it's reasonably possible to expect. We are happy with the level of sophistication.

Deployment is an ongoing process. It is going on right now. If you have new data sources, you have to describe and set them up. As we have lots of data sources due to the very nature of our activities, as a national statistics organization, we have lots of data and we are setting up additional data sources every single day. The implementation is still ongoing but there is nothing wrong with that. It's the nature of the platform.

In our area, there is no reseller yet. We purchased the license directly and we have been using the professional services authorized by Denodo, as a one-year support contract. It's extremely useful and of great value. We did not use outside resources due to two reasons. One of them is that we don't have any and the other reason is that, we didn't need, as Denodo is extremely helpful.

We made an internal analysis of available blind spots inside our organization and of our business needs and platform needs. We eliminated all competing platforms. We took a close look at many platforms but Denodo was the only one that fit all our requirements.

What other advice do I have?

If you have the business needs for data visualization which is a core technology that Denodo represents, then, I would say to go for it as the platform really works well. Don't have too high expectations on data catalog functionality. It works, but, its current implementation is rather rudimental. I would recommend it to others. For us, it is a success story.

I would rate it a nine out of ten. Not a ten only because I am hesitant to give a perfect score.