Denodo Overview

Denodo is the #2 ranked solution in our list of top Data Virtualization tools. It is most often compared to Azure Data Factory: Denodo vs Azure Data Factory

What is Denodo?

Denodo operates in the data virtualization field– providing high performance, unified access to the broadest range of enterprise, big data, cloud and unstructured sources, and the most agile data services provisioning and governance – at less than half the cost of traditional data integration. Denodo’s customers have gained significant business agility and ROI by creating a unified virtual data layer that serves strategic enterprise-wide information needs for agile BI, big data analytics, web and cloud integration, single-view applications, and SOA data services across every major industry

Denodo Platform offers the broadest access to structured and unstructured data residing in enterprise, big data, and cloud sources, in both batch and real-time, exceeding the performance needs of data-intensive organizations for both analytical and operational use cases, delivered in a much shorter timeframe than traditional data integration tools.

The Denodo Platform drives agility, faster time to market, increased customer engagement from single view of customer and operational efficiencies from real-time business intelligence and self-serviceability.
Founded in 1999, Denodo is privately held, with main offices in Palo Alto (CA), Madrid (Spain), Munich (Germany) and London (UK).

Denodo Buyer's Guide

Download the Denodo Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2021

Denodo Customers

Autodesk, VHA, AAA, Sumitomo Mitsui Trust Bank, Caterpillar, European Chemical Agency, Seagate, Nationwide, Time Warner Cable, Pantex, Inditex, BNSF Railways, Vodafone, CIT Group, Jazztel, Wolters Kluwer, Telefonica, TransAlta

Denodo Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Denodo pricing:
  • "I don't know the actual cost, but it's tens of thousands of dollars per month."
  • "The licensing should be improved, as the cost per connector is quite expensive."

Margus VäRton
Head of Data Service Department at a government with 201-500 employees
Good virtualization and data catalog features with strong technical support

What is our primary use case?

We use an entirely on-premises deployment model. Our primary use case of this solution is for the virtualization or unification of a data interface that produces national statistics.

• "It is a go-to tool for data virtualization. The virtualization and data catalog are the features of why we chose Denodo."
  • "The data catalog certainly has room for improvement. It is functional but we look forward to development. We are in constant contact with Denodo and they are fully aware of our needs."

What other advice do I have?

If you have the business needs for data visualization which is a core technology that Denodo represents, then, I would say to go for it as the platform really works well. Don't have too high expectations on data catalog functionality. It works, but, its current implementation is rather rudimental. I would recommend it to others. For us, it is a success story. I would rate it a nine out of ten. Not a ten only because I am hesitant to give a perfect score.
JB
Deputy General Manager at a comms service provider with 5,001-10,000 employees
Reasonable pricing, good data integration, and pretty stable

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the product for data virtualization and visualization. We actually have it integrated with some other virtualization tools as well. We design the systems and hand them over to our customers.

• "Overall, the product works quite well and has a good set of features."
  • "We occasionally have some integration issues that we need to work through."

What other advice do I have?

We are local partners. We have a business relationship with Denodo. We would recommend the product overall. On a scale from one to ten, I'd rate it at an eight. If they improved their integration capabilities and used some standard integration interfaces, I would mark them higher. If they offered more training and support, I'd mark them higher still.
Learn what your peers think about Denodo. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2021.
511,773 professionals have used our research since 2012.
KevinMonte De Ramos
Data and Analytics Strategist at Climate Action Services Inc.
Good data catalogs for data anonymization, and the technical support if fantastic

What is our primary use case?

I am a consultant for an organization. We are using this solution for data anonymization, and then the particular use case that's of an advantage is the chain of custody of data. That is something that is really critical today, in breaking down that barrier. Data can remain where it is and still be shared.

• "The most valuable feature is Data Catalogs."
  • "The dropdown menus feel antiquated to me, and the administrative portals need improvement."

What other advice do I have?

They're an industry leader for an emergent layer, and they don't sell you everything else associated with it. There are not very many competitors. I would suggest to get on with the proof of concept with it, and then if it doesn't work, you can back away from it with very little pain. You can scale up and get on with it. We have found that all of the competitors have a series of products that would cost a great deal more. I just became a partner as a consultant. I went through the partner training very recently. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
ZK
Senior BI and Data Consultant at a consultancy with 1-10 employees
Has good performance and quick speed to market

What is our primary use case?

It was used for an integration tool setup to follow and as temporary housing of integration lens.

• "The performance and the speed to market are the most valuable features of this solution."
  • "The integration could use improvement, it's a lot of non-speed line processes that we have discovered, in the country. The configurations could use a lot more improvement."

What other advice do I have?

My advice to someone considering this solution would be to understand your own personalized environment and out of the box configuration settings of Denodo. Our next journey would be to the cloud. That was the only thing that we were looking at embarking upon, but obviously, within a big corporation, we need to do due diligence from our side. I think Denodo had already the features to be integrated into the cloud we needed to do our homework to make sure that we could onboard the cloud with certainty. I would rate Denodo an eight out of ten.
EG
Management Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Good data abstraction and modeling with good UI

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution with Office 360 for cloud migration as well as connecting to data links.

• "The data abstraction is the most valuable feature."
  • "The solution should have its own acceleration technology."

What other advice do I have?

I'm a consultant with a reseller. We use the on-premises deployment model. If clients are looking into integrating value sources and they don't have to be on the MPP clusters then I'd recommend Denodo. However, if they are looking at something more contained within the Data Lake construction, they should go for something more granular. I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.
AM
ETL/BI Senior Consultant at a consultancy with 51-200 employees
MSP
Centralized sources and mapping is a leading feature, provides great traceability

What is our primary use case?

We're building a case for data virtualization for people to use this solution in order to assist in problem solving. We don't sell the product, we partner with Denodo and I am an ETL and senior consultant.

• "It allows a lot of traceability and you can decide what data you want to collect"
  • "Documentation needs to be improved"

What other advice do I have?

I haven't used a similar tool so I can't compare it to anything. I think it's a good product, despite some minor issues. I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.
CP
Finance Systems Programme Manager at a real estate/law firm with 501-1,000 employees
Good data lineage features and it is stable, but the support needs improvement

What is our primary use case?

I am a consultant and I use Denodo for my clients.

• "The most valuable features are data lineage and the concept of a semantic layer."
  • "The support is not the best and should be improved."

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is considering Denodo is to investigate it first. Download a free copy from the AWS Marketplace and really test it before you embark on your projects. Ensure that it meets your requirements, no just in the short-term, but in the long-term. This is one of the better products on the market. I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.
AU
Solution Architect at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Good data virtualization; access to a great community and helpful information

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this product is for data virtualization and now they have a pilot project for a very small installation, which they might want to extend in the future. We are partners with Denodo and I'm a solutions architect.

What is most valuable?

Denodo has a great community and they provide access to a lot of internet information, forums and meetings of varies kinds.

What needs improvement?

I'd like to see integrations with AWS, GCP and the like.

I've been using this solution for nearly six months.

Technical support has helped us set up a pilot project.

What other advice do I have?

I rate this solution an eight out of 10.

Which