Devolutions Remote Desktop Manager Review

Makes me instantly more focused on resolving the issue rather than getting to the issue

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case is the remote server connections for multiple protocols.

I also use it for managing multiple website login credentials and for application connections via available plugins.

How has it helped my organization?

I was able to maintain connections to over 400 different servers and services using password best practices. This allowed me to resolve the issue rather than waste time looking up passwords to the various servers. In addition, once I upgraded to the Enterprise version, I was able to manage some advanced connections (such as SQL Server .NET only connections) with the same interface and not have to remember the (relatively) convoluted steps taken each time to initiate the connection. Again, making me instantly more focused on resolving the issue rather than getting to the issue.

What is most valuable?

The multiple protocols: Being able to aggregate all connections (RDP, FTP, SSH, VPN, etc.) in the same interface and make each server readily available in the same way, which lets me focus on the problem regardless of where it is.

What needs improvement?

There are always bugs to squash, beyond that, it is really kind of difficult for new users to discover and use many of the features due to the bewildering array of choices and ways to do things. I do not have a good idea on how to solve the issue, but this is one area that could be improved. Maybe a specialized 'how-to' search (or something).

Three to five years.

No issues. I have been through several generations of both the free and enterprise versions of this tool, and it has never had stability issues.

It is designed for the desktop, so scalability is never an issue.

The Devolutions Server is available, but outside the scope of this review.

Support is through the company forum, however they have several people constantly monitoring the forum and are very responsive. This support can be from anyone able to help; up to and including the president of the company (he has responded more than once to some forum posts I have made). I have never gone for more than an hour during normal business hours without a response.

Previously, I used RDPMan for the RDP connections, PuTTY for SSH connections, and a variety of different applications for various activities, such as VMware Client for vSphere Server administration, WinSCP for FTP/SFTP/SCP connections, SQL Server Management Studio for database connections, and Cisco VPN for VPN connections. While many applications still require installation, RDM can broker and manage the connections to individual machines, systems, or locations.

Straightforward for simple connections, but they can get very complex. On complex setups, I actually needed to reach out to support to get it working correctly.

I installed it myself.

Instantly, for the Free Version.

For the Enterprise Version, it probably would have been realized in about two to three months. This is estimated because my company never bought it for me. I bought it for myself, so I did not have to mess with the alternatives.

Setup costs for most people is negligible. You install the software, then you import the files from what you are using now. If there is no support, creating new entries is fairly trivial, especially for websites, where the application will actually prompt you to store them (similar to the browser would without it installed).

What other advice do I have?

Use the built-in Password Generation tool.

1. You can store password policies as templates and just call the template to generate a bunch of different passwords that follow the policy and password security best practices.
  2. Press the button, and it is stored in your credential store.
  3. Copy it into the new password fields, and all of a sudden, you are using best practices on your passwords, effortlessly.

It actually takes more effort to do less than the best practices while using this tool!