Domo Review

Does a good job of ETL, but the SDK is not up to date and not available on their webiste

What is our primary use case?

I use Domo BI as a back-end business API to build a bot. We are not currently using the entire Domo system. It's an external API for us. We are building another layer on top of it and not interacting with Domo itself that much. Our client is a Fortune 500 company that is actually using it. We were provided with read access to build a product on top of it.

What is most valuable?

Other than the SDK, it is a basic tool where you can create cards and charts. I mostly see it as an ETL which has many system connectors. It does a good job of ETL.

I also use some of the visualizations but they are pretty standard across the industry. There is not much difference between Domo or Power BI or Qlik. All of them provide the same types of charts.

The basic analytics are okay. They show some information on what's happening with the system.

What needs improvement?

Their SDK is not up to date and you can't access it on their website. They have a private SDK to access resources in Domo. I'm not sure why. We were shocked to find out that they have an SDK but it is not available worldwide.

They have come out with the Domo Store but I have yet to explore it thoroughly. I checked the store but I couldn't find some of the apps, so I had to make my own.

Amazon has come out with QuickSight and there is Tableau which has a desktop version, and that is something Domo doesn't have as of now. Qlik also has a desktop version. There are other aspects that Domo has to work on.

I would like to be able to drill down more when there is a particular area where there is a problem. I don't clearly see that in Domo at the moment.

Less than one year.

It's pretty stable. With the APIs, I haven't encountered major issues with Domo.

We contacted technical support at Domo. We talked with the engineering team there regarding the SDK. They said that they only have a Java SDK right now. They said they're trying to build more. I believe they might come out with something in the third quarter of 2019.

Communicating with them was fine.

What other advice do I have?

Implementing Domo depends on the project, how much time it will take to build the dashboards, how many KPIs you are looking at, and how much of your data will come into the system. It also matters how many data sources there are. If you have ten to 15 sources every time it is a lot of work because you need to join all those tables and combine them into one to build the dashboards on top of it.

There is a difference between working with Domo and working on top of Domo. The major difference is that if you are working with Domo, you would rather use ETL and work with connectors; build the database and then dashboards for internal systems, sales, HR, marketing, and the website. That is working with Domo. But working outside of Domo, you just the APIs to push the data or the dashboard data, and you work on it on top of it.

In our organization, I am the one who works with Domo the most. Our organization is pretty small. We are a startup still. For startups, there is no discount. There is a trial version but that is only for 30 days. If you want to use a basic system, go with AWS QuickSight because it is available with pay-as-you-go and it is way less, in comparison, because it is new in the market.

I would rate Domo at six out of ten. I'm not in love with Domo. I have some issues with it. In my opinion, it is not that secure. I feel it is exposed a little. I also feel the ETL is a little outdated. They're not up to the mark on updating and don't have support for multiple languages. For example, they only support for Java right now. They don't even support Python or .NET.