Domo Review

A very useful tool if you want to check your data constantly and historically

What is our primary use case?

I use Domo mostly for three reasons:

1. To create connections with several applications and obtain data from those applications, e.g., Google Drive, Google Sheets, or Google Analytics
  2. With those connections, I love to upload data to Domo and transform that data in different ways. I create ETLs to join the data.
  3. When I join the data, it is transformed into a card where the client can see his data in a graphical way. From this, he can understand how his company is performing, because the data which I upload is from their call center(s).

Domo is not for fixing errors. We don't fix anything with the database. Domo is for processing data and showing the data to clients. They can see how their company is with calls, and if they are selling well or not.

How has it helped my organization?

For our clients, who have call centers, it is very important. For example, they need real-time data and Domo allows them to obtain data every 15 minutes. It updates the data every 15 minutes with new issues to fix it for the moment and will detect if something is wrong, which is for the client, as they need to ensure their data is okay and everything is working. The client needs to know if their reps are working well and selling their products.

What is most valuable?

Domo has a lot of connections using APIs where you can use data from different databases, such as NoSQLs, SQL databases, and other connections. These connections exist to obtain data and transform whatever that you want. This is valuable because I work with Postgres.

You can also create two types of ETL:

1. A graphical ETL.
  2. It can be used cold with MySQL and transformed into whatever you want with the code.

It is pretty amazing; the things that you can do with this product.

What needs improvement?

If your ETL runs more than 24 hours, it always fails because we are logging a lot of historical data, and there is a restriction on the amount of data (in rows) that you can run. The technical support has not found a solution for this yet. Their recommendation is just to run less data, which does not work for us.

I would like the real-time reporting to decrease the range of output from every 15 minutes to every five minutes.

They could add create a card in a timeline to see how calls are going. Domo has a lot of features, but it does not have a timeline.

The stability is pretty good. We have not had a problem with losing data.

There is an issue with Domo's storage because there is a limit with it. In five years, the storage requirements for Domo will not work for companies.

We currently have 50 people using the solution, though we have only about ten full access accounts. The rest of the accounts are preview only versions.

If you have an issue with Domo, their response is less than an hour. Their support contacts you immediately when you send an email for an issue on a database or data set. Then, they follow their process and will always try to solve the problem in less than 48 hours.

We previously had a homegrown application that we used. We switched applications because of iOS limitations.

Domo was already installed and configured when I started.

It's pretty simple to configure within a database and with another IP, like Google. It provides a step-by-step explanation of how to do something using stickers in the questions. Clicking on the sticker, it tells you more information about what you need to to do to configure something, which is pretty simple. It takes a minute to a minute and a half to set up.

We implemented in-house.

It takes one person to create the configuration and the data sets to upload the data, then three or four more to create the cards. The cards will be where you will need more time to transform the information, because you need to know what clients need to create the card like the client wants or what they want to see in the card. Therefore, it needs around five to ten people working on the deployment, then maintaining the solution.

When implementing, you need to know what the client really needs and what do you want to create in Domo.

We are making money from Domo, and all our clients are happy with the information that they receive from it. We have seen our customer base grow due to the product's usage.

Right now, we are trying to use Pentaho.

Domo has a lot of tools that other software, like Amazon, doesn't have.

What other advice do I have?

Domo is a good tool, and you won't regret it if you chose it for your company, since it is a very useful tool if you want to check your data constantly and historically. You can compare and create graphics to compare the past with the present and estimate to see how your company is performing.

Right now, the data is the most important thing in the world. Domo always tries to keep your data protected and available to you and your clients. This is something which  good with Domo.

As our company increases in size, our usage of Domo will increase.

We use Datadog in conjunction with Domo, but they are two separate tools: Datadog is used for checking issues in the databases and Domo is used for uploading data from the databases. E.g., Datadog will inform you what is going on every second in the databases. It provides information if something is wrong or if one of the processes hasn't finished.