DX Spectrum Review

Useful for event handling and offers a manager of managers console.

What is most valuable?

• Network Configuration Manager
  • MPLS & VPN Manager
  • Southbound Gateway
  • Event rules
  • Event procedures

How has it helped my organization?

Using event rules and procedures, we improved our event management process. CA Spectrum is very useful for event handling and offers a robust manager of managers console.

What needs improvement?

Like SpectroSERVER's fault tolerance (FT) functionality, the OneClick console should have a native HA or FT functionality. Actually, the only way to get this is by using a load balancer.

Spectroserver is the core component in CA Spectrum arquitecture that polls devices in to network, you can use multiple servers to build some kind of "cluster" to provide continued device polling when some server fail. Oneclick console ( web server) is front end of CA Spectrum it do not have an option to provide continued user access when a oneclick server fail ( High Availability). You can use a Load Balancer but is very expensive.

I have been using it for seven years.

No deployment issues encountered.

SpectroSERVER and reporting databases can grow quickly if you don't keep track of trap storms; this can cause SpectroSERVER to crash and performance issues with reporting.

No scalability issues encountered.

Customer service is very good (10/10).

The North America support team is excellent (10/10). The LATAM support team have some things to improve (6/10).

We did not previously use a different solution.

Initial setup was complex because deep knowledge about tool architecture and proprietary software is required. In some cases, if you make a mistake during installation or initial setup, the better solution is to reinstall it or reinitialize a DB.

We implemented it through a vendor team. Their level of expertise is high (9/10).

Licensing usually is expensive but cost efficient.

Before choosing this product, we evaluated Tivoli monitoring.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend you use CA Spectrum mainly to monitor network infrastructure. Use this tool as a manager of managers. Event monitoring is a very powerful functionality. If you want to monitor servers, app and databases, use CA UIM probes instead of the CA SystemEDGE agent.

10.1
More DX Spectrum reviews from users
...who compared it with SolarWinds NPM
Learn what your peers think about DX Spectrum. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
522,946 professionals have used our research since 2012.