FortiAuthenticator Review

It integrates very tightly with the rest of the Fortinet ecosystem. ​

What is most valuable?

Integrated RADIUS server with 802.1x functionality and access control. Single Sign On and AD integration. It integrates very tightly with the rest of the Fortinet ecosystem.

How has it helped my organization?

It integrated with the existing Cisco wireless infrastructure to solidify the way people authenticate onto the network. It permitted having a centralized area to authenticate all users and enabled SSOimplementation.

What needs improvement?

A better integration with other vendors. The device is rich in features but there are a lot of functionalities I have still not experienced with.

Two and a half years.

Overall not really, a few hiccups with the syncing with AD but nothing major.

Not in my experience. The device can scale on a VM with an additional license. And there are boxes that can support thousands of users (which I have still not met).

Very good. In our area we get support both in French and English and the response times are usually pretty decent.

We are a Fortinet reseller and integrator so there were no "switches" per say.

The setup process can be tedious.

I would start off with a VM including the base license and scale according to the number of users you need to authenticate.

ClearPass by Aruba and ISE by Cisco are the two main competitors in this space. To me ClearPass seams to be the most feature-rich solution for the price and vendor neutral as is FortiAuthenticator.

What other advice do I have?

I strongly recommend someone accompany you in the initial deployment of the product to view all the functionalities that the platform is capable of doing.