FortiGate-VM Review
Initial setup is very straightforward with a wizard, if needed

How has it helped my organization?

From security changes to VPN setup to web filtering, changes happen now more quickly.

What is most valuable?

The web GUI is easy to use.

What needs improvement?

The tech support calls were not the best and could be improved. There have been times when we felt as if we knew more about the device than the support person on the phone.

No issues.

No issues.

I would rate technical support as a seven out of 10. It is hit or miss. Most hits, but a few tech support calls were not the best.

We used ASA (ASA 5510) before this. You had to have ASDM loaded and fight with different versions of Java just to administer the device.

We needed to do an upgrade, and for the cost of a new ASA, we got two FortiGates which have a web GUI that do not rely on Java.

Initial setup is very straightforward with a wizard, if needed.

Not applicable.

No, we did not evaluate other options. It was the firewall rated numerically behind Palo Alto, and we could afford this one.

What other advice do I have?

It was no different than any other rollout. Do as much configuring before dropping it into your environment (especially if you are using content filtering with multiple groups) and make sure you are able to rollback to the old device, if necessary.