Fortinet FortiGate-VM Review

A scalable solution that protects our mobile users

What is our primary use case?

We use Fortinet FortiGate-VM as a firewall, for intrusion detection and prevention to protect our Azure data center, principal operation sites and our mobile users.

What is most valuable?

The thing that I like the most is that they're very willing to work with us to resolve issues that they haven't taken care of before in their product.

The end-user protection suite is very good, including the log analysis feature that they now have.

What needs improvement?

There should be integration with Microsoft Azure active directory.  The rules base for data center access must correlate with the group membership of the users to be granted access to systems and services.

We have used the Fortigate solution for 2 years and the Forticlient is soon to be rolled out to our mobile users.

Fortinet FortiGate-VM is very stable.

The technical support is very good.

We previously used CheckPoint.  Though a good solution, the license costs became too high for our organization and obliged us to look for another option.

Be very clear with your security consultant who is proposing Fortinet as a solution regarding all the features and integrations you expect to achieve with the solution.

Yes, we reviewed Palo Alto, Barracuda, and Sophos

What other advice do I have?

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of eight.

Private Cloud
More Fortinet FortiGate-VM reviews from users
...who work at a Comms Service Provider
...who compared it with Cisco Firepower NGFW Firewall
Learn what your peers think about Fortinet FortiGate-VM. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
522,946 professionals have used our research since 2012.