Fortinet FortiGate-VM Review

A complete ecosystem with good scalability, performance, and support

What is our primary use case?

We use it to separate our office environment from our training courses and customer environment.

We have on-premise and cloud deployments. We use the on-premise version for the functionality for our local network, and we use the cloud-based solution to provide the same functionality for our cloud-hosted workspaces. We have its latest version.

What is most valuable?

Its performance is adequate. We are quite satisfied with its performance.

The fact that it is a complete ecosystem with all kinds of integrations is valuable. It did take us a couple of months to get a grip on the new software, but all in all, it replaced our on-premise and single-point solution environment.

What needs improvement?

It would be useful to have integration with different reporting tools. This is something we are sorely missing. It would be a plus to have reporting integrations.

It would be good to have more integration with the identity suites, such as Office 365 and Azure Active Directory, of different providers that we use. Integrations are already available, but it would be nice to have some more advanced options.

I have been using this solution since 2015 or 2016.

It is stable.

It is very scalable. In terms of the number of users, we have about 300 employees and 300 daily on-premise customers.

We have plans to increase its usage. We are looking at the high-availability options for our branch offices.

Most of the technical support is provided by our support partner, but there have been some instances when I interacted with their technical support. They have been most satisfactory.

Its initial installation wasn't really that hard. It was very much doable. It was a scaled rollout, which makes it a bit hard to measure.

We did get some help from our network support partner. We initially needed extra help for the deployment. We didn't require any help later on.

To support an environment of this size, two people are good enough. If this is the sole focus of their job, then even a single person would be enough.

There is a support fee that can be bought on a yearly or two-yearly basis. I don't think they do five years. The best benefit is that the same pricing is guaranteed for that duration. If you can afford it, I would recommend using the longest possible time span.

We compared it with Check Point.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend this solution. I was advised to be very skeptical about the performance statistics as indicated in the documentation, but I didn't find that to be the case. It is very scalable with good performance.

I would rate Fortinet FortiGate-VM an eight out of ten.

More Fortinet FortiGate-VM reviews from users
...who compared it with Cisco Firepower NGFW Firewall
Learn what your peers think about Fortinet FortiGate-VM. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2021.
511,773 professionals have used our research since 2012.