Fortinet FortiGate-VM Review

Good antivirus solution that can handle much traffic, but lacks GUI features

What is our primary use case?

The version I am using, 6.2.8., is not the latest. It's a somewhat older version and has not yet been upgraded.

We have configured our use cases to be those of a banking environment. We have enabled the use of the firewall solution for our 300 branches.

What is most valuable?

The solution has pretty awesome features. It supports at least 300 of our branches. We have yet to come across any issues concerning the 300 branches we have configured, a high number which equates many connections. This means that the solution can handle that much traffic. This is a feature of the firewall that we appreciate, as well as that of antivirus. In spite of the solution being inexpensive, it has everything one would need.

What needs improvement?

There are certain GUI features that should be present but are not, although these we can address through the command-line interface. We have to make use of this to create certain policies or change the interface layer. These configuration restrictions should be addressed.

Moreover, the reporting should be upgraded, as there are only a small number of reports available. We also encounter issues on the logging pages. GUI does not allow for live logging and the command-line interface must be used in its stead. The need to rely on CLI should be done away with entirely.

While we consider the solution to be user-friendly, certain improvements should be made in this respect.

I have been using Fortinet Fortigate-VM for the past two years.

The solution is extremely reliable. As mentioned, it is being used in 300 branches and no issues have arisen.

The solution is scalable, although I have not attempted to undertake further plugins or additions.

We have had no issues with the technical support. We have found them to be good, very knowledgeable and helpful.

Other solutions I have used in the past include Check Point and Palo Alto.

The initial setup is straightforward, although the configurations can occasionally become involved.

At present, the SD-WAN licenses are on an annual basis.

We have no specific complaints about the licensing prices.

What other advice do I have?

I am on the implementation team, meaning that we configure the firewalls for our customers, mostly consisting of the BFSI banks and accounting for 2,000 people who make use of the solution.

I cannot proffer advice to others who are considering implementation of the solution. All I can say is that it is straightforward and simple, only requiring configuration.

I rate Fortinet Fortigate-VM as a seven out of ten.

6.2.8.
More Fortinet FortiGate-VM reviews from users
...who work at a Comms Service Provider
...who compared it with Cisco Firepower NGFW Firewall
Learn what your peers think about Fortinet FortiGate-VM. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
522,946 professionals have used our research since 2012.