G Suite Enterprise Review

Document sharing enables multiple people to work on the same document

What is our primary use case?

Our administrator has it set up so that we can share the Calendar and Gmail, we can send Gmail outside, but we cannot include any outsiders in the documents. It is possible to change that, but that's the way our administrator has set it up, that it's totally a private environment.

We use Gmail, we use Calendar, we use Drive and Drive includes presentations, although their presentations aren't great, documents and spreadsheets, workbooks, which are multiple spreadsheets. I think that's it. But the presentation is not great so we don't use it very much.

What is most valuable?

The document sharing in which multiple people can work on the same document. To go along with that is the archiving of documents. If you mess up a document, it's easy to go get a previous version.

What needs improvement?

The problem with the presentation is that if you upload a Microsoft PowerPoint presentation and you convert it to Google presentation, the slides or pictures, their images are not editable. You can't edit the slides that you brought in. They're just images.

That's a big defect in this. That's why we almost never use it because it converts Microsoft slides into pictures.

Another thing that would be nice is to have more storage because each person has 15 gigabytes and I just hit 90% again. Then I have to go in and delete a bunch of emails and I hate losing my old emails, but I don't have any choice. That's the limitation.

I have been using it for nine years since I've been at my company.

As far as stability, it's 100% stable. I've never seen it ever fail in any way.

There are around 60 users who use it. We use it constantly 24/5, we're not open on the weekends. We have around the clock shifts. So it's in use all the time.

There's no maintenance required. I think this latest change the administrator made was probably the first change he's made in two years.

I wasn't there for the setup but I know the guy who's the administrator and I'm sure he had to make a bunch of selections like the one I mentioned earlier that ours is private. Our documents are private. We can't share outside the company.

Recently on Calendar, it kept trying to put us to assume that any event was a Google meeting. It's Google's product. It's called Google Meet. Of course, we can use Meet, which used to be called Hangouts. And we do once in a while, we use Google Hangouts if our other chat system is down. But when you set up a meeting the default was to put us into Google Meet. Then if we were using some other tool, people would get confused. They'd say, "Well, is the meeting on Google Meet or is it on GoToMeeting or is it on Zoom?" Et cetera. So our administrator recently changed it so that that default is not there. And so if you want Google Meet, you have to select it. I would say probably when he initially set it up, it might've taken him half an hour to find out what people wanted and then put in the selections- 30 minutes maybe.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it an eight out of ten.

Google is trying to implement a telephone system on top of it. I would say, wait and see, because that's a new product, and wait and see if it's going to work and if it's going to cause you problems.

Google