G Suite Enterprise Review

Built-in multifactor authentication for single sign-on with precise technical support and documentation

What is our primary use case?

I deployed this for a public administration with two hundred accounts. They were replacing Office 365 with this solution because of the price.

What is most valuable?

The features that I like the most are the centralized contacts, labels, the way that you can use Gmail from the web browser directly, and the accessibility from Chrome.

Gmail has been made for Chrome. When you have Chrome, you don't have to add mail software.

There is a feature that people don't use a lot, and that is the multi-factor authentication. MultiPass Fido Security keys were the first to propose this built-in feature, but if you are using Microsoft, for a single sign-on authentication, you have to purchase another product like Okta to get a single sign-on and high-security authentication.

G Suite and all of Google were the first to have a built-in multifactor authentication without needing to purchase another product.

What needs improvement?

Compared to Office 365, you lose many functionalities. For Example, G Suites cannot share contacts between users.

With Office, particularly with Outlook, people are not using labels but folders. They tend to create folders in folders, and this fails the mailbox migration.

When migrating, we were using iMac migration and people were using special characters in their subfolders. If you use a name with a special character like a slash in the folder, it will crash the migration, with no warning.

There is no pre-warning or anything to tell you that if you use characters in a file name that it will crash the migration. There should be some kind of warning, notification, or awareness regarding bad practices.

There should be a check of the account that you have to migrate that tells you if the Unicode Encoding of the subfolders is valid, and that bad names won't work.

To find the webpage information regarding the migration with email servers, you have to search the website documentation to locate it. This information should be on the front page.

When you migrate with Gmail, there is a lot of information with different functions of what we lost and what we will get. Office or iMaps and several other service line products are displayed as part of it. This section is large and should be in the frontline of the documentation.

In the search, whenever you type migration with Gmail or G Suite, it should be on the first page.

In the next release, personal contact sharing should be included. With Google, you can share documentation, presentation links, almost everything, but not contacts.

I have been familiar with this solution for four years.

I am not a user but an administrator of this product.

This solution is stable.

This solution is scalable.

I contacted technical support regarding the issue that I was having with sub-folders and special characters in file names. They helped resolve the issues. I like the support.

They are precise.

At one time when I had a mail server to migrate, I called Microsoft support and I spent several hours performing tests with the support team. In the end, the technician told me that I was correct, that there was an error in the official Microsoft documentation, and closed the case. My migration had an issue and the only answer that I received from Microsoft was that the documentation had errors.

When you are calling Google support, they have no issues in their documentation. If a function doesn't exist, they just sent you an email with the documentation.

The G Suite documentation is not complex, you don't have issues, but with Microsoft, there are many, an insane amount.

You document all of the migration stages, and there are many ways to do it, so your documentation should reflect that accurately to avoid finding issues when you are halfway through the migration.

I don't have the same issues with Google support and the documentation as I had with Microsoft support and documentation.

The complexity of the initial setup depends on the person. For me, it was easy and straightforward because of my experience. I have been using mail servers for almost twenty years.

It is easy for people who have set up mail servers at the start of the internet.

I deployed this solution for two hundred people with the assistance of some program users. There were at least two full days of preparation and two presentation meetings.

After two days of implementation and stopped production, which was done during the weekend, it took one week to fix issues for users.

What other advice do I have?

Many people don't understand that when you are migrating to a company, you don't need to use software for mail, and you don't need to have software to open Gmail. It's the main feature.

For me, this solution and the setup is easy, but for some people who do not have the experience, they see features and don't know what they are used for.

For the Cloud, people are using Active Directory or Outlook, but they should also consider Gmail.

As an administrator, you don't have to manage mail software and local mail storage.

When people are using Office 365 Suites online and they come from Outlook to the online version, they don't like it.

Gmail is made specifically to be used through a web browser. For some people, it's a con, but for me, it's a pro.

In France, many people are using old products and they have to use Microsoft Office, but for new companies, they are using new online modern software. When I meet with some of these companies, I push them toward using G Suite and Gmail.

Microsoft was the top in IT, and they were beaten by Okta with regards to the single sign-on, and Gmail could do a single-sign-on earlier than Microsoft.

I would recommend this product.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.