HAProxy Review

Software defined load balancing allows us to dynamically adjust/codify routing decisions

What is our primary use case?

E2E load balancing of Layer 7 and Layer 4 applications.

How has it helped my organization?

Software defined load balancing allows us to dynamically adjust and codify routing decisions. This speeds up development.

What is most valuable?

Performance and SSL proxy/offloading capability. Compared to nginx it’s a lot cleaner and quicker.

What needs improvement?

Dynamic update API. More things should be possible to be configured during runtime.

We would like to see dynamic ACL and port update support. Our infrastructure relies on randomly allocated ports and this feature would allow us to update without restarting the process. The ACL add/update would help with some direct routing challenges that currently require us to work around them with a map and static back-ends.

Three to five years.

No issues with stability.

No issues with scalability.

A+++. Super-quick to respond, and always on target with answers specific to the current issue.

We did use hardware loadbalancing, and still use nginx for some Layer 7 routing challenges. We switched because software defined loadbalancing allows us to dynamically adjust and codify routing decisions. This speeds up development.

The learning curve is small if one is familiar with routing/networking in general, but it takes some time to fully understand the impact of some configuration settings. The support for all major Linux distros makes running and testing a breeze though.

NTLM/F5 hardware, nginx.

What other advice do I have?

Use it for some small, non-critical systems first, get comfy with the stats, and then scale out. Codify your configuration and keep it as simple as the requirements allow.