HAProxy Review

Makes hosting on multiple platforms / datacenters easy, without having to worry about HA

What is our primary use case?

Load-balancing between hosting sites, using Level 4 and Level 7 (with proxy-protocol, depending on the requirements).

How has it helped my organization?

It makes the hosting on multiple platforms/datacenters very easy, without having to worry about the high availability required by our customers.

What is most valuable?

The anti-DDOS PacketShield filtering solution (embedded in the physical appliances) as well as the BGP route injection are great features and heavily used.

The firmware upgrades are extremely easy, fast and convenient. You only have to upload it and reboot. It is as fast and easy to roll back to the previous version.

These features are really an advantage over a "homemade" solution.

What needs improvement?

The basic clustering is not usable in our very specific setup. The clustering is mainly a configuration replication and is great in a case of active-passive usage. In the case of an active-active (or with more than two nodes) where the configuration is not fully identical, it cannot be used as-is.

Three to five years.

We did encounter some stability bugs, but all were ironed out diligently by support.

No scalability issues, ever.

Excellent so far. We have always been able to deal with any problem, quickly and efficiently.

We used something else a long time ago. The old solution wasn't addressing our needs.

Straightforward, but received some help for the migration.

Very good value for the money. One of the simplest licensing schemes in this category of products.

Test/lab virtual machines can be installed without a licence. They can't be used for performance testing but otherwise behave like production nodes.

We are mainly using HAProxy Community Edition on our own servers. We also use this solution depending on our needs, but maintenance and upgrades are more complicated.

What other advice do I have?

Play a lot with the VM version. The product is powerful but some features are a bit hidden (read the HAProxy docs).