HPE OneView Review

It has lots of benefits such as managing the blade infrastructure and updating the firmware levels. It keeps us from having to go do things manually.

What is most valuable?

For OneView, it's probably two things.

• Having the single pane of glass interface into the actual solutions that we're deploying and using.
  • Above and beyond that, actually utilizing the OneView Global Dashboard. That's what we're utilizing to show everything.

We don't have a lot of installations, but it's there to show the customers that if they have multiple installations of OneView, they can integrate it all into a single pane of glass, so they can manage their infrastructure more effectively.

How has it helped my organization?

It keeps us from having to go and do things manually. So, the benefits are:

• firmware updates
  • OS deployments
  • managing the blade infrastructure that we have
  • being able to change the blade infrastructure on the fly
  • going in and changing server profiles
  • updating the firmware levels

So, it makes it easier for us to do all that as well for our customers.

What needs improvement?

Honestly, I was just working with one of the Beta versions in one of the hands-on labs and I think from a management functionality, it's very complete with regards to the hardware and what the different offerings have as far as management is concerned.

Maybe it could be a little faster. Also, streamlining the code a little bit, making it a little bit more responsive. I noticed as we were doing this in a virtualized environment here in the labs, that it seems to occasionally have choke points that slow it down a little bit and then it speeds back up.

So far, it's been rock-solid. No problems whatsoever. It's run. Every update is applied, no issues. It just works.

Well, like I said, with Global Dashboard, we have the ability to aggregate that all under a single pane of glass. We've only got one instance, but I've seen it where they've got numerous instances underneath that and it seems to all work just fine.

I haven't used the technical support.

Well, like I said, we've got multiple vendors. Actually I came from an IBM background initially, but also a Lenovo background and then I took on the HP architecture products, just because they knew I had a background in X86.

I'm the one who set it all up in our lab. It was very easy. Very straightforward. So, it goes in very simply. We have it running in our virtualization forum and it manages everything we have there.

I think in general, we looked for responsiveness, and the ability to get to the people you need to get to when you have an issue or a problem. Obviously product quality, I think is going to be another huge consideration. Then for me, reselling this, a lot of the management products are going to be a big key.

What other advice do I have?

Take your time. Learn the features. Learn how it integrates in your environment and it'll serve you well.

More HPE OneView reviews from users
...who compared it with Cisco UCS Manager
Find out what your peers are saying about Hewlett Packard Enterprise, Cisco, Micro Focus and others in IT Infrastructure Monitoring. Updated: June 2021.
512,711 professionals have used our research since 2012.