HPE SimpliVity Review

Stable with good pricing but needs to clarify the licensing terms

What is our primary use case?

The product is a hyper-converged solution. We are using this for local databases and application settings.

What is most valuable?

It's a normal solution and offers all of the typical features of a typical production on the market.

The pricing of the solution is very good.

The solution offers good stability.

What needs improvement?

There's nothing overly special or unique about the solution.

Overall, SimpliVity has a lot of features, however, those features need to be more precise. It's like a jack of all trades and master of none. It needs to hone in on a few features and really make them shine.

SimpliVity claims to have what you call a compression and dedup ratio, however, in practice, it doesn't really work.

They need to give more controls and more features as far as the backup is concerned.

The initial setup is not that easy.

The licensing could be more clear.

The technical support isn't ideal right now.

I've been using the solution for two years at this point.

The solution is quite stable, however, there's a lot of dependability on VMware. It interfaces a lot with it. Therefore, if there are any changes in VMware, it has to be reflected on SimpliVity as well.

We have not really tried to expand the product, due to the fact that we don't really want to invest more into it. Therefore, I can't really speak to the solution's capabilities in this matter. We're just going to use it and maybe over a period of time, we might just come out of it.

When we had purchased SimpliVity, it was a stand-alone product. Then, HPE acquired SimpliVity. Therefore, whatever support that is there, it is not really the complete, comprehensive support that you would experience with other HPE products. Basically, since this is an acquired system, there are limitations when it comes to support.

We're just customers. We aren't resellers or consultants.

The initial setup is not straightforward. It's fairly complex.

The deployment didn't take too long, however, It was done in about a week or so.

In terms of recommending the product, it depends on what a company needs and it depends on what they want it for. It's a solution-driven implementation. What didn't really work for me, might work for someone else.

I'm not sure if HPE is very keen on SimpliVity, as I don't really see them promoting this product very much. I'm curious to see if they'll continue with it or not.

Overall, I would rate the solution at a five out of ten.

Our solution is on a perpetual license. The pricing itself is okay. It's not too expensive.

There's a bit of confusion around licensing. Initially, SimpliVity did not talk about licensing for the software. However, later on, when the customers tried to update it, then SimpliVity said that they would have to pay for the update. Ideally, HPE should be very transparent about pricing and the licensing of this particular solution. It's not right now.

3.6
More HPE SimpliVity reviews from users
...who compared it with Nutanix Acropolis AOS
Learn what your peers think about HPE SimpliVity. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
523,230 professionals have used our research since 2012.