HPE SimpliVity OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

HPE SimpliVity is #5 ranked solution in HCI Software. IT Central Station users give HPE SimpliVity an average rating of 8 out of 10. HPE SimpliVity is most commonly compared to VxRail:HPE SimpliVity vs VxRail. HPE SimpliVity is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 42% of users researching this solution on IT Central Station. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 28% of all views.
What is HPE SimpliVity?

HPE SimpliVity provides the most complete hyperconverged solution, powering the world’s most efficient and resilient data centers and delivering up to 49% cost savings verses public cloud alternatives. A market and customer satisfaction leader, HPE SimpliVity dramatically simplifies IT by combining all infrastructure and advanced data services—including guaranteed data efficiency, built-in data protection, and VM-centric mobility—onto the customer’s choice of server. With HPE SimpliVity, expand your possibilities, not your data center.

HPE SimpliVity was previously known as SimpliVity, HPE HCI.

HPE SimpliVity Buyer's Guide

Download the HPE SimpliVity Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

HPE SimpliVity Customers

Red Bull Racing, Mandarin Oriental, Brigham Young University, UCLA, Merlin Entertainments, Sasa Cosmetics, Travelport, St. John’s Riverside Hospital, Princess House

HPE SimpliVity Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about HPE SimpliVity pricing:
  • "In terms of the licenses, customers do not actually get any benefit."
  • "The price is one of the biggest problems our customers have."
  • "It is expensive for this market. Everyone says that it is a very good product, but the only complaint is about the price."
  • "The solution is expensive; not every budget can fit in there."

HPE SimpliVity Reviews

RU
Senior Solutions Architect at a manufacturing company with 51-200 employees
The flexibility needs improvement and it needs an alerting system, yet it is stable and easy to install

• "SimpliVity works well in a UAT environment.."
  • "SimpliVity has very limited options for the virtualization layer."

What is our primary use case?

SimpliVity is used when a customer is looking to build a private cloud environment.

What is most valuable?

SimpliVity works well in a UAT environment.

What needs improvement?

They have made several technology changes. Compared to the previous version, SimpliVity was acquired by HPE and now the product has totally changed.

Initially, the response was great with SimpliVity. After the technology changed the feedback from customers was not good. As a result, we no longer focus on Simplivity.

Our focus is more on Nutanix Hyperconverged.

SimpliVity has very limited options for the virtualization layer. They may have to with VMware or something similar.

The flexibility should be present. It should be the customer's choice of what virtualization layer they will choose, and not mandated from the solution that you have to use VMware. VMware is not cheap. It comes with its own cost.

If the customer has the option to go with the Microsoft Hyper-V then customers should get the flexibility to have Hyper-V in place of the hypervisor.

Ultimately, the hypervisor functionality by default when you go for the data center becomes more cost-effective.

It should have the intelligence, to alert you that a failure of the cache is about to happen. It should be able to give you the predictive alarm and it should create its own backup.

It should have some provision where the cache is being copied to another location. So when one copy has been deleted or a copy has been corrupted, we should be able to recover it from the other site to ensure the office data is secure.

It should have some provision wherein the cache is being copied to some other location so that even if one copy has been deleted or one copy has been corrupted, we are able to recover it from the other location which will keep the office data secure.

From a product perspective, it should be more flexible.

It should allow users to have more data control in areas such as the cache. It should allow the user to have more data reduction flexibility.

Data reduction is something that is completely missing in the current solution, once SimpliVity was bought by HPE. It was the primary reason customers were interested in it.

SimpliVity handles the data. HCI is about how RAID is maintained over the network, and how many duplicate copies have been stored, or whether you are going for RF2 or RF3. Those things have to be taken into consideration.

With VMware,vSAN, and SimpliVity they are more dependent on the cache. If the cache fails then I have to recover the data. It's complete downtown for me. Anytime the data is not recovered, it's business downtime.

We have been providing this solution to our customers over the last year, but overall, we have been working with it for between four and five years.

Now that the technology has been changed, the product stability will always be in doubt.

The more they are integrating and trying to match the flexibility that Nutanix has been providing, and it has become more complex.

The hypervisor is becoming the heart of the solution. It is controlling the complete solution. It is providing you the contour, the storage, and the configuration of the virtual infrastructure.

This can be problematic when it comes to SimpliVity.

SimpliVity offers built-in scalability but there is an override with the data protection policy that they are providing, what kind of flexibility when it comes to managing the complete virtual machines.

The cluster has its own limitation. You cannot go beyond 32 or 64 nodes.

You can have multiple clusters and you can share your application across the clusters, but, yes, there are limitations. Though the limitation is not small it allows you to have 32 or 64 nodes in a cluster. When it comes to managing it, the more you add, the more complex it becomes to manage.

We have given it to many customers. Few of the customers are running it for the highest number of possible nodes in the clusters.

They provide good technical support.

If the solution has any fundamental challenges then it is not something that anyone can address.

It will take less than one day to start with a basic three-node cluster.

It is simple to install but it is hard to maintain.

In terms of the licenses, customers do not actually get any benefit. They have to purchase the VMware vCloud Suite as a bundled solution.

There is no flexibility in terms of choosing what license the customer wants to use. Irrespective of the features that the customer needs, they have to pay more for fewer features they want to use.

The difference between the HCI and the basic traditional environment is that it mitigates the bottleneck of the traditional solution.

Customers are looking to have an environment that is completely scalable. HCI is a platform that you can always choose. That is the flexibility that is in demand when it comes to the private cloud.

Whenever building a private cloud, scalability should be a built-in feature.

SimpliVity does offer it but there is an override in terms of the data reduction policy they are providing. What kind of flexibility in terms of managing the complete virtual machines.

Now when it comes to SimpliVity, they have very limited options for the virtualization layer.

They may have to go with VMware and that is something that I'll say not all the customers will be keen to consider.

What other advice do I have?

If someone asks me today which product to implement, I'll say that if you have a UAT environment, then you try to put it on SimpliVity. But when it comes to the production, or when it comes to a critical application or critical business need, you put it on the Nutanix Hyperconverged Infrastructure.

I only recommend this solution in a UAT environment, but not for production or critical environment.

SimpliVity cannot be deployed on the cloud.

The technical team is good because it is being managed by the HPE team only. The HPE technical team is always good.

It has various limitations and over time, rather than improvising, they have diluted the real essence of the product. I would rate HPE SimpliVity a five out of ten.

Doug Collette
IT Engineer at a government with 501-1,000 employees
Stable, with quick backups and responsive technical support

• "Backups happen very quickly."
  • "It's a very complex installation. It's gotten easier, however, it's far from a double click on a link and a self-upgrade scenario. There's still an awful lot of magic that goes down to doing upgrades."

What is our primary use case?

We run our 50+ virtual servers on SimpliVity and also use it for backups.

How has it helped my organization?

The all-flash storage in SimpliVity provides much better performance that the spinning-disk of our previous virtualization system. The extremely fast backups and restores (typically less than 1 minute) enable us to easily backup all our VMs every 2 hours. Lastly, the incredibly high data reduction ratio through compression and deduplication enables us to store 38 Days of full backups done every 2 hours in a remarkably small space. We're currently seeing a data reduction ratio of almost 300:1.

What is most valuable?

Backups and restores occur very quickly.

HPE Technical Support has been very responsive to any problems we've had.

All SimpliVity management is done through vCenter, providing a single-pane of glass for all management and configuration functions.

The advanced deduplication and compression greatly reduce the storage requirements, reducing the amount of expensive flash storage required.

The 10G interfaces between the SimpliVity nodes greatly speeds up VM migrations between nodes.

SimpliVity enables "stretched-cluster" operation with mirrored storage between the nodes, enabling automated failover. If a node or site goes down for any reason, the VMs on that node are automatically restarted on the other node.

What needs improvement?

Although HPE has made significant improvements, the upgrade procedure is still overly complex. It's gotten much easier but it's still far from double clicking on a link and a self-upgrade scenario. Therefore, installing SimpliVity upgrades is an area that HPE could improve upon further.

Performing file-level restores, which is the most common backup recovery operation that we do, also seems more complex than it needs to be. The recovered files/folders are restored to an ISO file, mounted as a DVD, and then they need to be copied from that. Afterwards, the ISO needs to be removed from the VM and then deleted from the SimpliVity storage. It gets the job done but it's kind of clunky.

We've used the solution for three years.

The stability is, for the most part, pretty good. I won't say we haven't had problems.

Our biggest problem has been SSD failures. Over the three years we've had it, we've replaced over half of our SSDs due to drive failures. Of course, it's all been under warranty and therefore it hasn't cost us anything other than a lot of time and headaches. I suspect HPE received a bad batch of SSDs from their SSD vendor and many of them ended up in our system.

Technical support has been good. They have been very responsive to our SSD failure issues and we usually have a replacement drive in hand within 2 hours of calling HPE SimpliVity support. We have had a few software issues and, again, the HPE support has been very responsive and usually quickly resolves our problems.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

Our previous solution used three VMware servers and two mirrored SANs. The servers were end-of-life and the SANs were almost out of available storage space.

The initial setup and configuration was reasonably complex and we used our local HPE reseller to assist us.

We have two nodes and it probably took a couple of hours per node to get everything configured and working. Then it was just a matter of migrating our VMs from our old system to the new SimpliVity system.

We used our reseller for the implementation. We have a local HPE shop here that we buy most of our network and computer equipment from and they came in and did most of the initial configuration. They were extremely knowledgeable and I doubt we would have been able to get everything properly configured and operational without them.

Since we were faced with having to replace our entire VMware system (three host servers and two SANs), we found that the cost of a two-node SimpliVity hyper-converged system was very close to what it would have cost to build a comparable conventional discrete system.

We evaluated Dell VxRail, VMware vSAN, and Nutanix.

What other advice do I have?

We're customers and end-users.

I'd rate the solution as an eight out of ten.

We really like it. As stated earlier, most backups take a minute or less. Within our first year, one of our SQL servers got corrupted somehow and wouldn't boot. We restored the VM from the previous backup, which was at that time about an hour old, and in under a minute we had that 950 GB VM up and running. Restoring this VM with our old backup system would have taken six or seven hours. For us, this was a real eye opener.

I'd advise potential new users to definitely do some kind of a trial, if at all possible, and go into it with their eyes open. We had a pretty good idea of its capabilities beforehand. Although we didn't do a trial, we had witnessed several demos of it. Overall, we've been pretty happy with it. However, like any product, there are always a few things that could be improved.

Learn what your peers think about HPE SimpliVity. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
555,358 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Qais Albeni
Head of technical Follow-up and Development at Greater Amman Municipality
Full-fledged HCI brings stability and scalability

• "The HCI concept by itself is the most valuable feature of the solution. It is a full-fledged HCI. It is the main component. I think this is what makes the project valuable."
  • "Bottleneck is the main issue."

What is our primary use case?

We are using the SimpliVity HCI servers to work as a VDI solution. Mainly it's a VDI solution that is using the HCI nodes.

How has it helped my organization?

HPE simplivity makes the computer technogy as simple and enjoyable to use as possible, HPE Simplivity design efficient, effective and satisfying.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

I think our LAN and branches started to use the VDI. We are hitting the point of a bottleneck with the end users and are complaining to support about this. Now, after using the SimpliVity with these nodes, we solve all the problems to cut the support cases for the end users. Also, the applications that they are running over the SimpliVity and HCI solutions are running better than the normal traditional solution. Bottleneck is the main issue.

Our connection with HPE is not a new relationship. It's 15 or 20 years old. It's such a long history with HPE that they were just HP when we started.

I think the stability is perfect. We deployed the first part one and half years ago, or more. I think we had only one or two cases that needed support, otherwise it's stable and very convenient.

In terms of maintenance for SimpliVity, we have a three year support with the vendor through SMS partner for HPE that covers us until the end of the period. After that, we usually do a reassessment and ask for an estimate for maintenance for the coming years. So at the moment maintenance is handled by HPE and HPE partner (SMS) .

In terms of scalability, our expansion depends on how many end users I want to be using it because the sizing of the HCI depend on the number of end users that will connect to the HCI node.

I think that we have witnessed improvement in the performance between the HCI solution and traditional servers.

We have 600 users now, and next year we will have an additional 400. This brings us to 1000 users. Then we'll look for an expansion.

The quality of customer service depends on the cases. At the beginning of the projects, every environment has customized procedures. Our environment needed a little bit of customization that made some headache for HPE and SMS partner. But after that, it worked perfectly. And their responses are quite good with all the cases that we brought to them.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

The initial setup was simple because it has a wizard GUI interface that helped to set up the project and set the needed configuration. Additionally, SMS partner was already connected step by step with a vendor. So it was quite easy and simple.

The licensing depends on the servers that it is going to run on. But SimpliVity didn't have a license to run on their devices. I think the license will be on the VMware or Citrix or the environment that you want to run on it. With SimpliVity, it is just a one time purchase and not actually any license.

We started using SimpliVity after we made several POCs with many vendors. We did a POC for Dell EMC, for Fujitsu, for Nutanix, and also for HPE SimpliVity. They all succeeded with the POC projects, but HPE won the competition and got the tender.

I think the reason that HPE was chosen in our tender was the technical level. Our tender was for a technical and financial proposal. 70% of our proposal depended on the technical offer and 30% on the financial offer.

What other advice do I have?

SimpliVity was the first HCI solution we deployed in our organization. It was a good experiment to start with. Now we are planning to start with a new HCI deployment next year.

I recommend SimpliVity to other organizations because it is quite easy to deal with, quite easy to start the configuration, and it is easy to manipulate if you want to track anything.

On a scale of one to ten, I would give SimpliVity a 9.

MK
Chief System & Security Officer at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees
Helpful technical support, good virtualization, and helps save on management costs

• "We really enjoy the virtualization that the solution offers."
  • "The product is expensive."

What is our primary use case?

I am primarily using the product in order to create our open banking solution.

How has it helped my organization?

Although it is still early, we are optimistic that it will decrease our management costs and many resource costs due to the fact that everything is included in one box in SimpliVity. That includes the storage network, CPU, memory, et cetera. If everything is in one box, it will likely reduce our managed services cost.

What is most valuable?

We really enjoy the virtualization that the solution offers. It's an aspect of the product we use a lot.

Technical support is quite helpful and responsive.

It looks like the solution will help us decrease management costs. It seems to be providing us with good value.

What needs improvement?

The product is expensive. We are in Turkey and the Turkish Lira currency is higher than in other countries. $1 is about 9 Turkish Lira now. If you buy something in US dollars, and if you calculate it in our currency, that means we need to multiply the total by nine. It's costly.

The initial configuration is complicated. HPE had to help us.

HPE is complex.

HPE SimpliVity uses some additional memory inside in order to do site infrastructure work. However, you need to calculate this. You need to make sure you have enough memory and CPU for your purposes now and in the future. However, they don't explain that you might lose, for example, 10% of memory during configuration. Knowing that might affect what you actually need in the long run. They really have to lay out for their customers at the outset what is used and how much space is taken up, et cetera. That way, you can calculate that into your capacity.

I've only really been using the solution for less than a month. It hasn't been too long just yet.

We haven't yet had a chance to do any benchmark tests on the product. We still have to go through this process. Therefore, it's difficult to gauge stability at this time.

We recently started using the product, and therefore not everyone was on the solution. We're at about 60% uptake now.

While we may expand in the future, we have not yet tried to scale the solution. It may be something we consider down the line.

We've been in touch with technical support, especially at the outset. We found them to be very helpful and responsive overall. We have been quite satisfied with the level of service they have provided to us. They are quite knowledgeable.

We previously used Intel services and products previously. We decided to switch, and, due to Turkish regulations, we couldn't use a public cloud product. That's why we chose HPE.

The initial setup can be pretty complex, especially in relation to the configuration. It was different from what we used and managed before. As it was a new system and a new way of doing things, we needed help.

We had to get HPE to help us with the initial configuration. We couldn't handle it ourselves.

The pricing is expensive, and even more so due to the fact that we have an unfavorable exchange rate between the Turkish Lira and the American dollar.

I have not seen any other costs over and above the licensing fee itself.

What other advice do I have?

We're just customers and end-users. We don't have a business relationship with HPE.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten.

GI
Pre-sales Engineer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
A hyper-converged infrastructure that offers enterprise-level data protection

• "The technical support is exceptionally good."
  • "There needs to be a simple process for migrating one SimpliVity cluster to a new SimpliVity cluster."

What is our primary use case?

Typically, our customers use it to try to consolidate their solutions on VMware with multiple virtual machines — almost more than 15 in every case.

What is most valuable?

The integration possibilities regarding the administration console are one of the best configurations and one of the best features that differentiates this product from others in the market. Also, you can add extra coverage protection that includes everything inside of the hard drives — similar products don't do this. You can use it directly from the hypervisor, which is great.

What needs improvement?

The price is one of the biggest problems our customers have. The solution is great, but at the end of the day, it's expensive. Compared to other solutions on the market, like Nutanix or vSAN, you are paying for something else. In this case, I have to explain the big differences within HPE SimpliVity. Overall, the biggest issue I have is regarding the price.

The problem is not necessarily with the HPE SimpliVity console itself because it's very easy to integrate with. Sometimes, our customers just want to have the opportunity to have the freedom to choose between Hyper-V and VMware. We love that kind of possibility.

It's not so frequently that we have a request about Hyper-V, but our customers do ask about the differences regarding licensing prices because at the end of the day, with Microsoft, the hypervisor is included with the operating system — that saves money.

The feature that I would like to see improved in the next release is migrations. There needs to be a simple process for migrating one SimpliVity cluster to a new SimpliVity cluster.

I have been using this solution for almost two years.

We have no problems with SimpliVity. If you configure it well, the product works well, but once you consider the possibility of growing a SimpliVity cluster after one or two years, it's not easy for costumers to understand that the original nodes are not available — you have to buy specific new nodes or whatever is available at that moment. You will lose some space, capabilities, or some benefits with the new nodes — you may need to configure a new cluster and migrate the older one.

SimpliVity should have the capability to integrate with other clusters in the future. Here in Colombia, our customers try it with just one additional node, but although that additional node could be easy to configure, you still will lose some features and characteristics.

The technical support is exceptionally good.

There's some information missing from the manual. I had to request special help in some cases because the documents are not complete. For example, wherever you go, unless you have some kind of experience with the product, there are some ports on the backend of the servers that are not easily identifiable. When you read over the documents and try to find that information, you can't find it anywhere — you have to contact SimpliVity support.

They need to provide more complete information about the components and their uses, especially the ports on the back.

The initial setup is not bad when you use the OCA. The OCA is a configuration utility but you have to know what you're doing or you could easily drive up the end-price for the customer.

What other advice do I have?

Regarding configuration, it would be nice to have the flexibility to easily select the right low-cost service for any implementation or configuration.

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of nine. If the customer has the right environment, I would definitely recommend this solution.

MB
Senior Product Manager at a comms service provider with 51-200 employees
Reseller
Good access, high availability, and interface

• "The access, high availability, and interface are the most valuable and important for us. There is one interface for the whole product, which is very important because you have a single pane to view all the infrastructure of a customer. You can improve your data recovery plan or DRP, or you can make a special emergency plan if a disk has any problem."
  • "It is not so cheap, and this is the most common complaint that my customers have. It is a very good product, but the price is an issue in Latin America. VMware is a de facto tool. It would be useful for customers if HP can also use Red Hat or any other open-source virtualization product. Currently, you can only use VMware to manage the machines inside SimpliVity."

What is our primary use case?

We sell HP products. Hyperconvergence with SimpliVity is one of the main products that we are pushing. The virtual application is the main product. It is based on the virtual desktop infrastructure (VDI), but it is only an application. We sell this infrastructure to our customers and put the virtual application in this infrastructure.

How has it helped my organization?

A solution that provide a simple way to HA , is absolutely efficient and improve the work for the IT team

What is most valuable?

The access, high availability, and interface are the most valuable and important for us. There is one interface for the whole product, which is very important because you have a single pane to view all the infrastructure of a customer. You can improve your data recovery plan or DRP, or you can make a special emergency plan if a disk has any problem.

What needs improvement?

It is not so cheap, and this is the most common complaint that my customers have. It is a very good product, but the price is an issue in Latin America.

VMware is a de facto tool. It would be useful for customers if HP can also use Red Hat or any other open-source virtualization product. Currently, you can only use VMware to manage the machines inside SimpliVity.

I have been selling HPE SimpliVity for less than one year.

It is stable.

You can easily scale without any problem by adding new nodes, which is a very good part of the product. Currently, my customers don't have a requirement for scalability, but they will have a requirement in the future. They will have to scale the platform, storage, and virtual machines in the near future. A customer is planning to add one or two nodes at the beginning of the next year. My customers are medium-sized and big-sized companies.

They can maybe improve the response time. When a customer has an emergency and is pushing us, we need to respond in the best way. This is not a complaint. Customers always want the solution immediately. We help our customers in getting the most uptime for this service.

No, previously we didn't use a differente solutio , just HP DL nodes separately

It is a new technology, and the setup is a little complicated. The learning curve is not so high, and you can learn to deploy the product easily in a couple of weeks. You have to get people certified in different technologies of HP before the deployment.

Deployment can take from a couple of weeks to a month and a half. There could also be problems with a customer's infrastructure. In some cases, putting the devices is a whole new project because the customer is not prepared.

In Latam is very different a ROI. Depends of the industry and all the return has more time to return

It is expensive for this market. Everyone says that it is a very good product, but the only complaint is about the price. The enterprises must evalute carefully what they want to do and how many people has tod do te job. A simple interface improve operational time

Nutanix, Dell nodes

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. It is very good for me.

I would rate HPE SimpliVity a nine out of ten.

Other
Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Reseller HPE
Alfousseynou Bomou
Engineer at Platform Technique
Very scalable with fair pricing and a nice interface

• "The interface is very good and is very easy to navigate. You can find everything you need from one central place."
  • "To install or to update it is more complicated than other solutions."

What is our primary use case?

I'm a service provider. I install it for my customers. I typically implement it for telecoms.

What is most valuable?

Once you get the solution up and running, it is very good.

The solution is extremely stable.

The product offers good value for the amount you pay. It doesn't give you any issues once it's implemented.

The solution can scale very nicely.

What needs improvement?

To install or to update it is more complicated than other solutions.

They can automate a lot of things. We do a lot of things manually and this is somewhat unnecessary. For example, the installation of a plug-in, or VMware, and so on. If you can automate all these things, like Nutanix, you get a better result. It's very simple to install Nutanix. You click and wait. The whole implementation is pretty automatic. SimpliVity will be very, very good if it can automate many aspects of the deployment.

It would be ideal if they could include OpenView managers in one place with all the equipment.

We've been using the solution for two or three years.

While the implementation is difficult, once you get past that, it's an excellent solution. It's an extremely stable product and very reliable. We have no issues with it once it's up and running. It's not buggy or glitchy. It doesn't crash. It's great.

The solution is very, very scalable. If a company needs to expand it, they can do so easily.

HP Technical support is great. HP has developed instant AI, artificial intelligence. Support can be automatic now. When we activate the AI, when we have a problem on-site, HP will basically know in advance. If we have to repair something, it will be sent automatically. They do offer on-site support, however, that's something that needs to be paid for.

Overall, we've been satisfied with their level of support.

I have some experience with Nutanix. I've read about it and gone over documentation. I've never installed it, however, I find the implementation in theory easier and more automated than this product.

The installation is not straightforward. It is quite complex. Even updating it is complex. There are many steps you need to account for. It takes some time to get it done.

It's depend on the plan of the client, however, if there is one cluster only, it can go fast and you can deploy in a few days. However, if you add to an existing cluster, you have to update many things, and this will maybe one week or potentially two weeks.

While at first clients always comment on the pricing being very high. However, once it's deployed, and they see how well it works, they don't complain. Therefore, I think it's quite fair.

What other advice do I have?

We are HPE partners.

Overall, I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

I would caution others, to implement the solution effectively, you have to go step by step, and with no hurry. The documentation for implementation is very long. If you don't follow it exactly and do every step as described, you'll have a lot of challenges during the implementation, therefore, just go slow.

MI
FD at Alpha 55
Everything in one place, but it is an ageing solution

• "Up scaling is very possible, and at any time it is scalable."
  • "Not a lean architecture in terms of anything."

What is most valuable?

One of the most valuable features is the solution is simple. You get everything in one place, one rack for everything. So you don't have to get bits and pieces for a whole solution.

The solution works very well for banking or oil and gas sectors, and for the branch offices.

What needs improvement?

One area of the service that could use improvement is that it is an aging solution. The market activity shelf life is over as people are moving toward a more savvy cloud box.

One con to the solution is the expense. A second thing is it has to be tailor-made properly. The presales part has to be done properly. Otherwise, you can misguide the customer.

Another issue is that it's not growing. I don't know what they want to do and apply for that particular solution or if they are looking for something else. I haven't seen many improvements in the last couple of years.

Also, nowadays everything is a very lean architecture, but SimpliVity is not a lean architecture in terms of anything. SimpliVity should be very lean in terms of the solution.

I've been working with the solution for five years.

Once you've taken the right course of action, the solution is quite stable, but it should be in the proper hands to maintain.

Scalability is very good in SimpliVity. Up scaling is very possible, and at any time it is scalable.

Compared to NewtonX, technical support for HPE is a lot better. We had a few situations where we need to get connected with them. The usual turnaround time is the next business day or whatever option the customer has. It'll be resolved accordingly in time.

The initial setup is complex. You need experts on that to kick start it, or it would be screwed up.

You need to go with a vendor, or find a niche experts, and there are only a handful of people available in the market.

The solution is expensive; not every budget can fit it. With the technical experts, for after-sales, you need to be a bit careful because it can burn your pockets if you don't expect it because there are only a few people available.

What other advice do I have?

The solution is a one-time investment that the customer has to make, but the scalability is there. The performance is very good on any application you are trying to build on top of it, it performs according to that hardware layer. They offer very good presale support in the region here, if you need to get connected.

Now that AI is changing, hyper-convergence is there, but the hybrid model is applied in any scenario. Everybody doesn't want fully on-prem because SimpliVity is something where you want to convert everything on-prem. So if you are approaching a hybrid model, that solution should be in the cloud as well as on-prem. It should be not hardware agnostic, one solution. Anytime your data is your property, you can move it to any solution.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Product Categories
Hyper-Converged (HCI)
Download our free HPE SimpliVity Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.