HPE SimpliVity Overview

HPE SimpliVity is the #5 ranked solution in our list of HCI Software. It is most often compared to VxRail: HPE SimpliVity vs VxRail

What is HPE SimpliVity?

HPE SimpliVity provides the most complete hyperconverged solution, powering the world’s most efficient and resilient data centers and delivering up to 49% cost savings verses public cloud alternatives. A market and customer satisfaction leader, HPE SimpliVity dramatically simplifies IT by combining all infrastructure and advanced data services—including guaranteed data efficiency, built-in data protection, and VM-centric mobility—onto the customer’s choice of server. With HPE SimpliVity, expand your possibilities, not your data center.

HPE SimpliVity is also known as SimpliVity, HPE HCI.

HPE SimpliVity Buyer's Guide

Download the HPE SimpliVity Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2021

HPE SimpliVity Customers

Red Bull Racing, Mandarin Oriental, Brigham Young University, UCLA, Merlin Entertainments, Sasa Cosmetics, Travelport, St. John’s Riverside Hospital, Princess House

HPE SimpliVity Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about HPE SimpliVity pricing:
  • "In terms of the licenses, customers do not actually get any benefit."
  • "The price is one of the biggest problems our customers have."
  • "It is expensive for this market. Everyone says that it is a very good product, but the only complaint is about the price."
  • "The licensing is on a yearly basis. The licensing cost also includes vCenter at a cost in the cloud solution."
  • "It's a costly solution and is more expensive than VxRail."

RU
Senior Solutions Architect at a manufacturing company with 51-200 employees
The flexibility needs improvement and it needs an alerting system, yet it is stable and easy to install

What is our primary use case?

SimpliVity is used when a customer is looking to build a private cloud environment.

• "SimpliVity works well in a UAT environment.."
  • "SimpliVity has very limited options for the virtualization layer."

What other advice do I have?

If someone asks me today which product to implement, I'll say that if you have a UAT environment, then you try to put it on SimpliVity. But when it comes to the production, or when it comes to a critical application or critical business need, you put it on the Nutanix Hyperconverged Infrastructure. I only recommend this solution in a UAT environment, but not for production or critical environment. SimpliVity cannot be deployed on the cloud. The technical team is good because it is being managed by the HPE team only. The HPE technical team is always good. It has various limitations and over…
MK
Chief System & Security Officer at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees
Helpful technical support, good virtualization, and helps save on management costs

What is our primary use case?

I am primarily using the product in order to create our open banking solution.

• "We really enjoy the virtualization that the solution offers."
  • "The product is expensive."

What other advice do I have?

We're just customers and end-users. We don't have a business relationship with HPE. I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten.
Learn what your peers think about HPE SimpliVity. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
521,637 professionals have used our research since 2012.
GI
Pre-sales Engineer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
A hyper-converged infrastructure that offers enterprise-level data protection

What is our primary use case?

Typically, our customers use it to try to consolidate their solutions on VMware with multiple virtual machines — almost more than 15 in every case.

• "The technical support is exceptionally good."
  • "There needs to be a simple process for migrating one SimpliVity cluster to a new SimpliVity cluster."

What other advice do I have?

Regarding configuration, it would be nice to have the flexibility to easily select the right low-cost service for any implementation or configuration. Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of nine. If the customer has the right environment, I would definitely recommend this solution.
MB
Senior Product Manager at a comms service provider with 51-200 employees
Reseller
Good access, high availability, and interface

What is our primary use case?

We sell HP products. Hyperconvergence with SimpliVity is one of the main products that we are pushing. The virtual application is the main product. It is based on the virtual desktop infrastructure (VDI), but it is only an application. We sell this infrastructure to our customers and put the virtual application in this infrastructure.

• "The access, high availability, and interface are the most valuable and important for us. There is one interface for the whole product, which is very important because you have a single pane to view all the infrastructure of a customer. You can improve your data recovery plan or DRP, or you can make a special emergency plan if a disk has any problem."
  • "It is not so cheap, and this is the most common complaint that my customers have. It is a very good product, but the price is an issue in Latin America. VMware is a de facto tool. It would be useful for customers if HP can also use Red Hat or any other open-source virtualization product. Currently, you can only use VMware to manage the machines inside SimpliVity."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. It is very good for me. I would rate HPE SimpliVity a nine out of ten.
Alfousseynou Bomou
Engineer at Platform Technique
Very scalable with fair pricing and a nice interface

What is our primary use case?

I'm a service provider. I install it for my customers. I typically implement it for telecoms.

• "The interface is very good and is very easy to navigate. You can find everything you need from one central place."
  • "To install or to update it is more complicated than other solutions."

What other advice do I have?

We are HPE partners. Overall, I'd rate the solution eight out of ten. I would caution others, to implement the solution effectively, you have to go step by step, and with no hurry. The documentation for implementation is very long. If you don't follow it exactly and do every step as described, you'll have a lot of challenges during the implementation, therefore, just go slow.
RS
Assistant Manager - IT & IS at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Stable with good pricing but needs to clarify the licensing terms

What is our primary use case?

The product is a hyper-converged solution. We are using this for local databases and application settings.

• "The pricing of the solution is very good."
  • "The initial setup is not that easy."
Kimsin Phan
Manager, IT and Production at a consumer goods company with 1,001-5,000 employees
A stable and scalable solution with good disaster recovery performance and useful backup feature

What is our primary use case?

We use it for our production system. We have many production systems.

• "The feature that I like the most is the backup feature embedded inside the HPE SimpliVity. When we have any activity, within five minutes, we have a backup. It also has PDR for performing disaster recovery."
  • "We had some hardware compatibility issues with the earlier versions of HPE SimpliVity. We upgraded to the latest version a few months ago, and since then, there is no hardware failure, and it is better. They don't provide a portal to create a ticket directly for the HPE SimpliVity. We have a web portal to create a ticket when we have an issue, but for HPE SimpliVity, we need to call the local vendor for support. If they are not able to resolve the issue, they contact the global support, which takes more time. Technology is moving very fast, and everybody nowadays is focusing on the cloud base. In the future, they should integrate it with the cloud base for the backup."

What other advice do I have?

It is a good solution. It is a good hyper-converged solution as compared to other solutions like Cisco or Dell because they don't embed software inside the solution. SimpliVity is more useful for us because, during the month-to-month activity, it provides good features to back up, install, and roll back everything. I would rate HPE SimpliVity an eight out of ten.
RahulKumar6
Solutions Executive at Tech Data Limited
Quick to backup and transfer, and it is easy to scale

What is our primary use case?

We are resellers. We provide HPE products to our customers. This solution is used with UDI, HCI, the hybrid cloud, Microsoft Azure, and other Microsoft products.

• "The most valuable features of this solution are the backup rate and the backup transfer."
  • "The centric management could be simplified or more user-friendly."

What other advice do I have?

Many customers are using this solution and have said that it comes down to the price. Otherwise, it's a good product. This product is not suitable for small companies as they don't require this much. Unless they have 20 to 30 lakhs (two to three million), it would be better suited for medium to large companies. I would recommend this solution to others who are interested in using it. I would rate HPE SimpliVity a ten out of ten.
See 16 more HPE SimpliVity Reviews