HPE SimpliVity Review

The Data Virtualization Platform allows you to achieve great efficiency in storage use, data management, backup and disaster recovery.

Valuable Features

It’s difficult to find a single valuable feature, because all of the features are good. The key point is the Data Virtualization Platform that allows you to achieve great efficiency in storage use, data management, backup and disaster recovery. I appreciated the simple and quickly deployment, the vCenter integrated management features, the backup and DR integrated and finally, but important, performance that is very good.

Improvements to My Organization

With the OmniStack system, we can deploy a system in a Stretched cluster configuration with a sync replication and a disaster recovery site with a few clicks of a mouse; all are managed from the vCenter and we don’t need to upgrade the internet connectivity, because the efficiency data management works fine. Management of the system is simplified and the complexity of the system is reduced.

Room for Improvement

Backup application integration: The backup actually allows creating some independent recovery points of the VM. It’s possible to duplicate and restore the entire VM or restore some guest files. The backup is consistent because the VMware integration and the VSS integration allows having an “application-consistent” restore point, but the restore doesn’t have an application integration function. So if the VM has, for example, installed an Exchange Server, I’m not able to restore a single mailbox or a single item from a specific mailbox. Doing this requires deploying a third-party backup solution. There aren’t specific issues about this, but I think it could be a good improvement.

Support for other hypervisors: Some our customers have installed Hyper-V or KVM; the Simplivity roadmap includes Hyper-V support with the Windows 2016 release. VMware-only support can actually restrict our business opportunity; it’s a business issue, not a technical issue.

Use of Solution

I have been using it for one year.

I did not encounter any stability issues.

I did not encounter any scalability issues, but it’s too soon, because I don’t need to expand the systems currently in production.

Support is good and efficient.

The initial setup is very simple; the deployment of the entire system is a one-hour, wizard-guided procedure.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

The pricing is not cheap but it lines up with converged solutions. If compared with a traditional system, it is important to evaluate all the features. If all of the features are compared, Simplivity is less expensive than a traditional solution. If you compare it to Nutanix, it is important to compare it to a RF3 solution (five-node minimum), because Simplivity can achieve the same protection level with a two-node configuration; OmniStack is less expensive.

The license depends on the size of the appliance and is affected by the CPU power (number of CPU cores). However, it’s possible to use an x86 external server connected to the Simplivity storage using a 10Gb network and exported by NFS, using the power of the Data Virtualization Platform with the external x86 computational power. This supported configuration improves the computational power without affecting the license.

Other Solutions Considered

I choose Simplivity after evaluating Nutanix and Data Domain. I chose Simplivity for its data virtualization platform.

Other Advice

Because the crucial point is the Data Virtualization Platform, the key point is the data type evaluation: it’s important to evaluate what type of data will be stored in the appliance. For example, if the data is video streaming, the platform isn’t good because the deduplication won’t will work well. The other key point is an evaluation of the workload to consolidate. I suggest always monitoring the system performance with some tools for defining the CPU, memory, network and disk workload of the system and an audit of the data type that will be managed. With the generic VM data types in our system, we have achieved data efficiency from 20:1 to 40:1.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: My company is a Simplivity partner (reseller). We choose a Simplivity partnership after an evaluation of the hyperconverged market solution one year ago.
1 visitor found this review helpful